BusinessObjects Board

Row level restriction for universes

Hi all,

we have to put one condition in supervisor for the row level restriction on universes.Its a bit long condition with 3-4 clauses for between and stuff.So when we put this condition it just take some part of the condition.The rest is just not allowed.

Is there any restriction about how long a condition can be or the number of characters or something? And is there any workaround for me to put the condition so that it will always appear in any report which uses the particular universe + particular table.

I am using BO 6.5

Thanks

ashvini (BOB member since 2007-02-01)

Paste the actual clauses here for better insight.
There may be syntax errors or other problem which is ignored while parsing.

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

previously we were giving this condition for only one object. so we had put it in the where clause of the object definition. The condition is correct technically. But since now we are pulling almost 10-12 objects which need same condition. we cant put that in each where clause.The condition i want to put is as below

(DIM_TEAM_COVERAGE.TEAM_EFFECTIVE_FROM_DT  <=  CLOVER.CLO_COVERAGE.START_DATE
AND
nvl(CLOVER.CLO_COVERAGE.END_DATE,'31-DEC-9999') <= DIM_TEAM_COVERAGE.TEAM_EFFECTIVE_TO_DT )
OR
(DIM_TEAM_COVERAGE.TEAM_EFFECTIVE_FROM_DT  BETWEEN CLOVER.CLO_COVERAGE.START_DATE AND nvl(CLOVER.CLO_COVERAGE.END_DATE,'31-DEC-9999')
AND
DIM_TEAM_COVERAGE.TEAM_EFFECTIVE_TO_DT  BETWEEN CLOVER.CLO_COVERAGE.START_DATE  AND nvl(CLOVER.CLO_COVERAGE.END_DATE,'31-DEC-9999'))

I believe there exists a limit of 255 characters. Look at the embeded SQL show in the dp of a report. Pull it out and check the length using a length equivalent db function and see. I believe it is somewhere around 255. I’m actually looking to see if this limitation still exists in XIr2, can’t find anything documented yet as we are in the design stage.

JTAMBLYN :canada: (BOB member since 2003-05-28)

Yes, that sounds approximately right, 255 or 256.

Here is a past discussion (Search is Your Friend™ :wink: ) which in turn takes you to BOB’s Downloads for a presentation from Steve Krandel here, which gives you a workaround, using Designer, to build a dummy object that has the WHERE clause that you need (with no length restriction) – and then build your row-level restriction in Supervisor that makes use of that dummy object.

(See slide 18 of the presentation, it shows both a Designer snapshot and a Supervisor snapshot.)

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Yep, that is where I remember seeing it as I recall. The dummy object is a great idea to remedy this limitation.

JTAMBLYN :canada: (BOB member since 2003-05-28)

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help. The presentation is really helpful.Thanks again