BusinessObjects Board

Retrieve prior DP results and compare against a new run

HI:
Currently, I got a report (6.5.x) that read a log file from a MS-SQL box (2000) and tells how many files, how many records and the time stamp per each file that a download process was executed.

Sometimes the download is interrupted and the log file is not updated.

Want to go a little bit better in the report and compare current refresh data against the last run data (which I think is saved in the microcube).

In other words, let’s pretend Tuesday Download process filled the LOG file with the following reults:
FILEname Records TimeStamp
FILE1 32 3:32am Tues
FILE2 5987 3:33am Tues
FIEL3 1 3:38am Tues

If I run the report on Tuesday Afternoon, the report will display data as above.
On Wednesday, Download process filled the LOG file with the following reults:
FILEname Records TimeStamp
FILE1 320 4:00am Wed
FILE2 15000 4:30am Wed
FIEL3 10 4:45am Wed

If I run the report on Wednesday Afternoon, the report will display data as above, BUT I would like to display something like below:
FILEname Records TimeStamp Prior RUN
Records TimeStamp
FILE1 320 4:00am Wed 32 3:32am Tues
FILE2 15000 4:30am Wed 5987 3:33am Tues
FIEL3 10 4:45am Wed 1 3:38am Tues

I understand I should be able to read the data in the DP prior refreshing, but do not know how, where to keep it and how to set it into the report column. I am not sure it is even possible.

Could you lead me to a possible solution?

Thanks
Reinaldo Nunez :nonod:
DISPLOG.rep (63.0 KB)

reinaldonunez :venezuela: (BOB member since 2004-10-01)

I am not clear as to what you want to achieve…did you want to display both the new data and previous data on the report?
If so, then you will need to use a VBA macro to either:

1. Store the previous data to an array or collection object
  2. Create VBA data provider to display the existing data and use the existing data provide to display the new data

I do not have any sample code that will show you this.
I recommend that you take a look at the DevLibrary for more information on VBA macros:
http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/en/BO_SDK/bosdk_doc/doc/bosdk_com_CustoBo_dg/ewcb_ch04_dp.html#997585

Please note that using macros on a DeskI document in InfoView and the Scheduler can sometimes be tricky.

darcstorm :philippines: (BOB member since 2008-07-22)

Thanks Darcstorm, your two items described exactly what I needed. In the past I went to the link you provided and that was ok for the concepts, but getting from there to a practical example cost me a lot of time and some furstation.

Seems faster work in duplicating the file I am querying in and archive it, later include the copy in the universe and querying those two files. Do not like this solution, and that was why I wanted to see some example, perhaps somebody face that issue before.

Thanks again
Reinaldo

reinaldonunez :venezuela: (BOB member since 2004-10-01)

Another alternative is discussed here … Capture a “snapshot” of a data provider

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)