BusinessObjects Board

Restricting data

Hi,
Is there someway to restrict certain information to specific users?

I work for a bank and we have one database with complete information. Now, we want users to have access to data that is specific to them like user X should just see information related to current accounts and user Y should just have access to savings account. We have a flag on one of the tables to determine what product it is. Is this something that could be done on Business Objects? We are using 5.1

Thanks,
Don

donivb (BOB member since 2007-03-23)

Hi and welcome to B :mrgreen: B

Yes it’s possible using universes overloads and link data with your database using @variable(bouser)

Regards

OK, how do I use universe overloads and @variables?

Thanks in advance.

Don

To get suggestions that pertain to your specific case – please tell us how many users you have, and what is the range of restrictions you need. If you have an extremely simple case, you might be able to do it with a couple of cases of row-level restrictions on the universe, imposed in Supervisor.

If your situation is very complex, and is not quantifiable by some sort of grouping – you might need to have a “security” table that you use in the process of figuring out the row-level restrictions for a user.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

There are 2 ways to do this. One is using row level security in supervisor.
Here is a presentation that would be helpful.

The second method would be to have a table that would be joined to to limit the data the user would have access to.

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I tried to understand the two options we have.

We have 100 users and I have around 20 tables that have to be restricted. I don’t know if we could do a straight forward restriction at the supervisor level as not every table has a field that determines the access rights. This flag is available in just one of these tables , does it mean I have to join any report back to this table to carryout our filtering? If so how do i do it? supervisor row level restriction wouldn’t alllow me to make joins(writing subqueries had performance issues).

Again it is the same question about using a security table. Do I have to join each of these 20 tables to this security table?

Thank you,
Don

I don’t have a clear enough picture to give advice. If you were trying to impose the limitation in straight SQL for various possible ad-hoc queries, what would you do? That will give you a clue about what you’re going to have to make work in the universe.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)