BusinessObjects Board

Restrict inputs in In List prompt

hi,

Is there any way to restrict user to select not more than 5 values in an InList prompt?

I have report which prompts user to select multiple towns in report. I want to restriction so that user should not be allowed to select more than 5 towns at a time from the available 100 towns.

Thanks in advance,
Girish

girishoak (BOB member since 2007-02-14)

I don’t think we can out of the box. We can just control whether they can select one or multiple values, that’s all.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Girish, just want to know what is the requirement ? Means is it feasible if user himself select only five values in prompt?

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

No It is not a requirement, but just to improve performance of report I want to restrict user to select 5 values from LOVs.

This kind of improving performance will not help in accomplishing the requirement. I suggest you to concentrate on all the other ways of improving performance, instead of trying for this one. Also I believe my users will never need a report just with 5 brands.

Cent Percent true Jansi. And also if you want to imporve the performance of prompts, try to play with the SQL at universe level.

number 5 is just an arbitrary number. It can be anything…

Could you please provide me any link to improve reports performance.

Regards,
Girish

No, please don’t take the wrong route. Check this FAQ.

I guess you can take care of following things -

In DESIGNER Level
1)eliminate the unnecessary joins
2)use conditions as much as at the database level
3)edit the SQL query in the Query Panel as per requirement

In REPORTER level
1)eliminate the filters as much as possible
2)try to reduce the user variables

Note - Once I got this from forum. :slight_smile:

Thanks all for your comments.

It was just a thought to check whether it is possible to restrict input values. It seems that this is not possible.

Regards,
Girish

No, you can’t control how many values a user enters in a prompt. BO does not have such functionality.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)