BusinessObjects Board

Repository table upgrade from 61b to 6.5

We currently have a setup with 61b WebI server.
i installed a 6.5 client on my machine and tried connecting to the repository. It denied my logon saying that the repository needs to be upgraded to 6.5
Subsequently I logged in using the 6.5 Supervisor and upgraded my repository tables.
Thankfully all of this was in testing environment- and luckily the 61b client can also authenticate against the now upgraded 6.5 repository.

My question is whether there is a significant difference in the 61b and 6.5 repository? From my experience it is backward compatible…but just wanted to check whether any one has gotten into trouble with similar issues?
Overall I’d say that 6.5 is godsend…compared to earlier versions

Rohit :india: (BOB member since 2004-03-23)

There are 7 new tables. See this topic: New Database Tables In 6.5.1

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

You speak about a Webi 61b Client.

Does this also apply for a 61b Reporter FULL CLEINT connecting to a 6.5.1 repository?

We are considering upgrading our Repository to 6.5.1 and using Designer 6.5.1 for all new development and maintenance.

Our existing Universes are being developed in Designer Versions 5.1.3.

We have had difficulty with Designer 61b using the cut and paste of tables and their associated joins between Universes (joins are not preserved). So we continue to use designer 5.1.3 for developing our Universes with a 61b Repository.

We could save a lot of time by ONLY upgrading the repo to 6.5.1 without upgrading the Reporter Full Client at this time. (I realise there may be features in Universes Designed with 6.5.1 that would not be available until we upgrade the Reporter Full Client as well).

CAN A 61b Reporter Full Client connect to 6.5.1 repository ?
Are there any major drawbacks to not upgrading the Reporter Client Right away?

Thank you

{duplicate post removed … Dwayne}

viewlakes (BOB member since 2004-01-28)

Presently,I am not having any problems with running 61b full client aginst a 6.5 repository. Presently we are inthe process of bench,arking application run times for version 6.1b and 6.5

From what I have seen of the new 6.5 client , I would say go for it.

Rohit :india: (BOB member since 2004-03-23)