BusinessObjects Board

Repository Moving from SQL server 2005 to Oracle 10g

Hey All,

Our BO 6.5 SP4 repository is mounted current on SQL server 2005, We are moving to Oracle on another server. I am creating repository on the oracle server. is there any way to restore the new repository with all the current data? Can we take dump of SQL server tables and put it in oracle though i am highly doubtful if that will work. or I will have to manually add the users,universes,connections and documents specifically to the new reporsitory?
I dont want to do it manually as there is a chance I might miss something out.

Please let me know if anybody has done anything like this before.

Thanks in advance.

Ashvini

ashvini (BOB member since 2007-02-01)

I think by doing a DB link between Oracle and SQL server this should be possible. Talk to your DBA regarding this.

[edit] P.S. Possibly by creating a blank 6.x repository in Oracle and then importing content from SQL to Oracle.

These are just a thought and may or may not be feasible.

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

When I needed to migrate our repository from Sybase to Oracle, I did so by:

1.) Instantiating a new repository on Oracle

2.) Used PowerCenter to copy the data from the old repository to the Oracle repository.

3.) Immediately changed the connections for the document and universe domains, since the values in the copied repository pointed back to Sybase, as documented in this Supervisor FAQ.

4.) Tested

In testing, I found that while I could import documents and universes, the documents and LOVs were “corrupted”. I opened a case with BusinessObjects, who eventually told me that they “did not support migrating the repository from one database type to another”.

5.) I then imported all universes from the new repository.

6.) I then copied all of my LOVs and documents from the old repository, into appropriate folders for the new repository. I then opened and checked them and re-exported documents and universes to the new repository. This was brute force, but it worked.

Since this is a Supervisor-related topic, I am moving this topic from Gneeral Discussion to Security and User Administration => Supervisor.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)