BusinessObjects Board

Repository Copying

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade BO 5.1.2 to 6.5.1 and went thru the Upgrade document also. The first step i can see is “Copy Repository”…
When i asked my DBA to copy current repository, he asked me back: Is it back up of Repository database? or create another instance of the database and copy the current repository tables and data? That means another user id to access copied repository.
So what i need to ask him exactly?

Pls guide me if i’m wrong.

Thanks

ramky18 (BOB member since 2004-09-19)

Create another instance of the database and copy the current repository tables and data. Then create a different BOMain.key and point to that repository. Once you upgrade successfully, change the bomain keys.

You can use the same user-id to access the newly copied repositiory as you use for the existing repository.

kashif

Kashif Saeed :pakistan: (BOB member since 2004-06-02)

There is one more VERY important step! :yesnod:

Log in to Supervisor with the new BOMain key, and change the connections for the universe and document domain(s)! If you don’t, the “new” security domain (repository) will STILL be updating the old universe and document domain(s). I’ve heard this referred to as a cross-linked repository, and it is nearly impossible to recover from (other than a complete restore).

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Please, see also the Supervisor FAQ

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

And even more important:
Do not delete the connections, only modify!
Delete would drop the tables of old repository. I have seen a people doing it - had long hot discussion afterwards…

PeterC :hungary: (BOB member since 2005-02-14)

I don’t understand :? why not do backup? is it not the same thing?

BOJunkie (BOB member since 2005-07-13)

If I am not wrong the step of creating a new BoMain.key is only for windows and doesn’t apply for UNIX.

BOB_DW (BOB member since 2004-08-26)

Tidbit: We did this (oops!) and had some bizarre behaviour. So we had an upgraded security repository in TEST and upgraded document and universe domains in PROD. When we discovered what we had done, we repointed to the doc and unv domains in TEST and completely restored the bo scheme in PROD.

Now in our TEST environment we have a 6.5 security repository and 6.5 doc and unv domains that… work with Designer and Supervisor 5.1.4!!!

Weird, eh? :shock:

JennFisher :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)