BusinessObjects Board

Repository copy query

Hi,

We are planning to take a copy our production repository into one of our new development database.

This is for upgrading our BO version from 6.1a version to 6.5.4 version

I read in of the BO manuals that “before copying the repository database , I need to suspend all the BCA jobs and once the copy is done to my new database , then I need to reactivate the BCA jobs again”.
Is this a mandatory step to copy while copying the repository?

I did not find this step in any of the BOB posts, if this is already discussed in the post , can anyone point me out there…?

Server - Unix
Database - 10g

Thanks in Advance…

Canton (BOB member since 2006-10-16)

This step will help in two ways,

1. The BCA jobs won’t execute while you are copying your database.
  2. In the development the jobs won’t execute when you connect it to server.

You don’t have to suspend all BCA jobs if you stop BCA servers before copying. You should also stop all WebI servers and disable access to BO.

In the development repository (after copying) don’t enable BCA schedulers so that the jobs won’t run. If you have to enable BCA schedulers in dev then you should suspend/cancel BCA jobs that you don’t need.
The conclusion is you can still copy repository without having to suspend BCA jobs in production.

Thanks
Shekara Reddy

shekar25 (BOB member since 2004-05-11)

Topic moved from “General Discussion” to “Security and User Administration” ==> Supervisor, since most topics discussing copying or moving a repository are discussed there.

Please be sure to read the topic in the Supervisor FAQ entry “How do I move my repository?” :wink:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

thanks Shekar for your reply…

While copying the repository database do I need to stop the production BO server, what will be the impact if I do not stop the BO server while copying.

Can you please detail me on what all the things I need to do on server side as precaution while copying the production repository database.

Thanks in advance…

Canton (BOB member since 2006-10-16)

Here are the steps you can follow to copy prod repository,

1. Stop BO services, BCA on WEBI server.
  2. In supervisor disable all users access for an hour or so. Don’t close supervisor.
  3. Copy produ repo, use import command to import all the data of repository schemas.
  4. Now enable users access in Supervisor.
  5. Start BO services and BCA on WEBI server.
  6. Export the repository data from step 3 into development schemas.
  7. In supervisor run a safe recovery by using development repository user login. Create the bomain key and name it bodevelopment.key or so. Don’t overwrite the existing prod bomain.key.
  8. Logon to supervisor using bodevelopment.key and then using tools->repository option change the connection info for document and universe domain.

Bobj users, please feel free to add to above steps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Shekara Reddy

shekar25 (BOB member since 2004-05-11)