BusinessObjects Board

:hb: Repository Already exists

hi, i am getting the following error message when trying to create a document domain. BO 6.5, Oracle is the database.

“A repository domain of that type already exists for the connection. Please change the type or set up a new connection”

There is nothing in the table. I am using this in my dev environment, i was thinking that I could go into the schema and drop the document table. But before doing this can anyone give me another solution if there is one. I dont want to create a catastrophe :smiley:

bunkersoverbo :us: (BOB member since 2006-08-16)

Are you creating another Document Domain for development in the same Repository as the Production Document Domain?

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

If the table exists – whether or not it is populated – then BusinessObjects doesn’t want to “zap” the existing table. Why would you already have a table like that in your dev environment, unless it’s associated with a document domain somewhere?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

“Why would you already have a table like that in your dev environment, unless it’s associated with a document domain somewhere?”

I was given the task of “mimicking” our production environment. I copied my production environment bomain.key after running the safe recovery i changed the db connection to point to the new database. :?

It sounds like you have mixed things up somewhat.
If you have mirrored your production environment - why are you creating another Document Domain?
Remember that the names are unique.
Surely you should have just replicated the tables - created the connection - generated the new bomain.key and then used the current Domain structure as ported over from Production?

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

In that case – then what you need to do is to change the connections of all of your other domains in your new repository to point to the new locations. See How do I move my repository? from our Supervisor FAQ.

And… moving this topic from “General Discussion” to the “Security and User Administration” ==> Supervisor sub-forum.

i have made all the changes to point to the new database. it is there i am gettting this error message.

You have a copied repository, which has an existing document domain. You shouldn’t be trying to create a new document domain. You should instead be changing the CONNECTION for the document domain to point to the new database.

:frowning: unfortunately i am pointing to the new database. thanks for all the advice :smiley:

Your security domain is pointing to the new database. When you create a new BOMain.key file, that is all you are doing – setting up the information about how to connect to the security domain.

The universe and document domain connections in your new database still probably point to the old database – unless and until you change the information in those connections.

And if you don’t change that connection detail – you will could get cross-linked repositories – where changes and additions you make to documents and universes on the “new” repository actually affect the “old” document and universe domains – but the security domain of the “old” database will not be updated – and you will get into an unrecoverable situation.

Log into Supervisor in the “new” security domain. Use Tools ==> Connections ==> Edit to edit any connection that is used for your universe and document domains, and correct it/them to point to the new database.

Then, the rest of the repository that you had copied will now be usable.

if this is 6.5, go into supervisor and look at your repositories - all of them… If you did what you think you did, you should see the new database name in the connection string for all your Universe and Document domains.

If not, be very careful what you do next.

I’ve done this before, and I exported my Oracle instance to another box. I had to make a new bomain.key to point to that box, then I had to log in to Supervisor and change the connections on all these domains. I then make a new general supervisor account and changed the password on the original (so I would not get confused by which server I was on).

Good luck, be careful…

B

bdouglas :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

i don’t see the user name and password in “Tools\Repository” and i don’t see the domain listed. however when i click add after accepting the user name and password i then click begin. and before any script gets generated i get the error message.

" repository domain of that type already exists for the connection. Please change the type or set up a new connection"

we are using oracle schemas. i was just wondering out of curiosity if i was to go into oracle db and drop the tables would this work because the tables that exist would no longer. :?: but would that be considered tampering with the repository :frowning:

Can you backtrack a little? From the beginning, what did you do, what do you do up until the point you get the error?

You backed up your repository somewhere else, if I follow… Then you made a bomain.key to connect to this repository…? If so, at this point your new, backup security domain should be pointing to the original document and universe domains - that is the danger of this process.

The test is to login to Supervisor using the new key - if you can’t see any universe or document domains, something is wrong. Try the same thing with your original Bomain.key - what do you see for your repository connections there??

I would put together all the info you have, try and post that here. I would think that would mean -

names of the instances of oracle
locations / schema used for your unverse and document domains
locations / schema desired for your new domains

Anything else you can come up with would be helpful…

Good luck,
B

Also tell us exactly what you backed up – how many tables? Is it possible that you missed part of the repository?

i had the dba to back up my entire repository. every schema. after the database was copied. i then ran a safe recovery to the new database. i saw that the schemas was pointing to the old datbase. i then clicked on delete and then attempted to add the schemas to the new repository and from there i am getting this error.

OUCH!

That delete may have been a big deal… If your new, backed up repository was unchanged (sounds like a Yes to me), you deleted your production document and universe domains.

I would verify that, then reload from whatever your DBA did before I did anything else.

That make sense? Your security domain had all the pointers to the other instance of Oracle (?) - when you deleted the domains, it found its way back to those and deleted them (probably - it may have failed for some reason, but it certainly tried).

Good luck!!!

B

yes, that happened to production. however we were able to restore from backup. so its up and running. but now i have the schemas in the dev repository. which resides in a totally different database. the schemas are there but i just cant use them in bo. when i click add bo tells me that there is one. how can i resovle this issue. would be wise just to have the dba delete this schemas and re-create them :?:

If you reloaded the universe / document domains to production, your production instance of the repository should have come up - did you look using a good, production BOMain.key?? If you can’t see it, that seems at least possible.

If you can’t get it back quickly, a full restore of your production environment should work - it just makes me suspicious of where you did any of these changes (and where you are now looking)…

Just remember, the security domain describes where all the other domains are - if you don’t change that after a backup somewhere else, that relation is still there until you manually change it.

Good luck,
B

how can i check the security domain? is there a particular table that i can query against to see the domain listing and what datbase they are pointing to :?:

Whatever user / schema you specified you created the Bomain.key tells you where to start… If you browse the table “obj_m_connection”, you can see the domain names - the rest is encrypted. I would look at your prod and backup instances and decide which looks like it was changed the most.

If the domain names are gone in production, then you changed your security domain during the event - that means your bomain.key was probably still pointing to production, and your backup may never have been touched.

It’s recoverable, but - well, good luck : )

B