BusinessObjects Board

Reports and Universe Migration from Test to Production repos

I have already searched the BOB. I saw many posts related to this. I have got confused with the answers. So I am looking for a correct solution for migrating universe and reports.

I know having two separate repositories involves lot of work. But in my case I have to have two separate repositories one Test and One production on different servers.

I have seen 6 steps and 12 steps posts but I feel they are no longer required in recent versions.

For Universe I feel that I can simply export the universe to production repository after logging as General supervisor and changing the connection(No Universe name change happens). I don’t understand the need of changing the connection to shared connection.

For Reports I feel Simply open the report with Genral supervisor Id in production repository and save it for all users and simply export it to the repository. I don’t feel any extra step is required. Report will automatically get mapped to the correct universe on its own.

Please correct me If I am wrong.

Would any body please provide the correct steps of migration?

JaiGupta (BOB member since 2002-09-12)

Universe connections must be Secured, not shared. Unless they are secured, you won’t be able to export them at all.

As for migrating universes and documents from one repository to another, you are correct. Simply log in as GS, and import from one repository, then change to the other repository, and export. I’ve done it without any issues. Have fun.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

I’m going to weigh in on this one. In my opinion, general supervisor should never be used for routine maintenance. That user is only supposed to be used for repository maintenance.

Think of it this way, would you log in as Administrator just to move Word or Excel files around on your hard drive? Would you log in as “root” on a Unix system for any reason other than to do system maintenance? Does your DBA give you the “system” database account? I bet not. :wink: General Supervisor is the equivalent, and should not be used other than for repository maintenance, as I’ve already suggested.

This is not a rule; you can use GS for anything you want. The problem with importing / exporting as GS is that it always works, and that can mask problems. Plus, you can only export to the top level of your group hierarchy, which is another issue (problem).

And that’s why the 12 steps… and why the mention of a shared connection. You cannot open a universe unless you have access to it. And if you’re working with two separate repositories, it is impossible to access universes from two different repositories at the same time. So the 12 step program has you save the universe in workgroup mode, which requires a non-secured (either personal or shared) connection.

General supervisor can always open a universe, because nothing can ever be taken away from that user. So you could get away with skipping some steps by using GS. But I really don’t suggest that you do.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks Dave for the awesome explanation. Would you please send/post the exact steps for Migration of universe and reports with non general supervisor. There are many versions of it in the BOB. I don’t know which one are latest and accurate.

For Reports need to save them with option save for all users and then open them in the new repository with a non gensup ID. Am I correct?

Did Dave ever send you the twelve steps for migrating docs. from two repos?

path (BOB member since 2002-10-21)

I decided to use general supervisor id for Migration. This is much easier and very less painful. if you don’t change the name of the universe in the new system.

I honestly can’t remember why I switched from trying to use the GS to using the painful migration method. I just remember that I experienced problems. I worked at a company with 3 repositories for 3 years.

One thing I do remember is that the reports whined with DA0004 if they weren’t physically pointed to the new universe if the ‘Do Not Regenerate SQL’ button was set to orange. I also remember that performance was better with it orange. There is a great relevant discussion here.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Dave’s been busy on other things. :wink: You’ve probably seen this other topic (since you started it) but for others reading the same question…

12 steps for migrating docs using two repositories

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks for the input. It is going to be a hard decision. The main reason we are thinking of going to two repositories is to help with retrieving corp. docs and send to users. It currently takes 15 minutes for some users. We have a very complicated Supervisor setup because of the security needed. Any input on whether separating out dev. and test to another repository would even be worth the effort?

path (BOB member since 2002-10-21)

More effort than it is worth IMHO. I’d do a lot of things before I split into two repositories…

Make sure that my repo is optimized…indexes indexes indexes
Separate documents and universes into different domains within the same repository
Simplify my Supervisor structure.

Why did you arrive at multiple repositories as the optimal solution? :confused:

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)