BusinessObjects Board

Reporter is very slow, Designer and Supervisor OK

Starting mid-day yesterday BO Reporter has been terribly slow on my PC. Logins take 4 to 5 minutes. Opening reports and the edit data provider window take equally as long. Strangely enough Designer and Supervisor are working fine. All other apps on my PC are working fine. One other person near me is experiencing the same problems. Most everyone else is having no performance problems. Logging in as General Supervisor still takes a long time. The status bar goes to “Please wait…” and Reporter is hung for several minutes. My co-worker with the same problem noted that disconnecting the network cable does cause the hung application to complete fairly soon (usually without error). He also noted that it takes a long time to login to his local repository (Access Db on his PC) when the network cable is connected. This local login is very quick when his network cable is disconnected. Obviously, the network seems to somehow be involved. However, other BO products and other applications are working fine. No one is complaining of any network issues currently. This is very frustrating as it is almost completely locking me out of using Reporter. :reallymad: I’m also getting an “Exception Access Violotion” in BO when opening selected reports. I reloaded BO on my PC yesterday, but no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m willing to try anything to get this working. Thanks, in advance!
Jeff

jcook (BOB member since 2003-08-21)

Did you have a DBA check the status of the repository DB? Possibly a problem getting to the machine and or DB peformance? We have had similar issues in the past and it simply was a problem with the repository DB.

Chris

cfachris :us: (BOB member since 2003-09-03)

See here

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

All of sudden things began working properly this afternoon with no changes on my behalf. Login times have improved. Reports are no longer getting exceptions. Concerning the comment about BO repository load, I have checked the BO repository server and it is not very busy. Also, most people who are using Business Objects (4,000 user installation) are having no problems at all. I can’t really explain it now. I’m just happy it seems to be working better. As always, thanks for the suggestions and input!

jcook (BOB member since 2003-08-21)