BusinessObjects Board

Report where all can be selected

Hello I’m new in this forum, but I’m working with B.O several years ago.
I have the next problem. I must to make a report with Business Objects where the user would like have a field where they can choose one, several or all items from a list. The problem is to obtain a item labelled as “All” that mean that are not selection, or all items are selected.

HHERRERO :es: (BOB member since 2005-08-31)

Create a Uinverse Object called ALL where the select is simply “ALL”.

Create a another Universe object for the dimension that will be used for the prompt,e.g. for a list of countries from the countries table, create an object in the Universe called Countries with All. In the SELECT section you will select the country column from the country table. Then click the advanced tab and edit the LOV SQL. In the SQL modify the query by adding:

UNION SELECT “ALL”

Remember to select the checkbox at the left hand corner to retain the SQL changes.

Now you can drop this Countries with All object as a parameter on the repor and also the ALL object and join the two with an OR. Check the SQL and you will understand how this will give you what you are looking for.

Trick: We put a space in front of the ALL as " ALL" and then order by 1 in the union query to show the ALL as the first option. If you do that, remember to change the sql of the ALL universe object’s select to " ALL" as well.

Good luck.

Farhan Jaffery :us: (BOB member since 2005-08-27)

I have tryed your interesting solution.
I think that I have followed all steps suggested by you.
I got to display a prompt where the word ‘ALL’ was included in the selection list, but when I execute the report, only the word ’ ALL’ is selected.
My objective is selected all items from the list when I select the item ‘ALL’ from the prompt.

If you have some idea about this I will be grateful to you.
Thanks in advance.

How many items do you have in this list?

Is this a static list or an ever changing list? If the list is static, you can add code in the select expert’s query editor to look for all the items when the user select is ALL.

Is this a complete list of values, meaning that all the rows in the database will have a value from within this list? If yes, then not searching on the list item is same as searching for ALL items, e.g. if all cars are red, blue, or green, then it is same to say that select all cars (without specifying the color) OR select all cars where the color is red, blue, or green.

Have you thought about allowing selection of multiple or all items by the user by changing the multiple select option?

I tried your solution. I could able do second part corretly where you can modify LOVs. But i am stuck in first step itself. How do you create only variable ALL with “ALL” in it. It’s giving me error as “ORA 00903 invaild table name”. Could you please explain this step.

Thanks

dwmdbth (BOB member since 2005-09-07)

You have to create the ALL object as a dimension in the universe. Just put ‘ALL’ in the select section of the dimension object.

You can then use this dimesion on your report and put it in the query filter and OR it will the LOV with ALL.

Does this FAQ entry help?

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

OK. This FAQ solve completly my problem.
Thanks by you notification.

Thanks fjaffery and patient with me. I completed adding ‘ALL’ variable as dimension thanks Dave link to faq worked.

I added prompt variable a (with LOVs in it) to webi document. questions is what is join condition between ALL variable with variable (with LOVs) and where to insert this conditon to webi document or in universe.
if you could give example that will help.

Thanks for your help. Just learning BO from last one month.

Thanks

dwmdbth (BOB member since 2005-09-07)