BusinessObjects Board

Report Variable

Hi,

My client is using 5.1 bo version.I am trying to see that is there any way I can store a variable at report level when then 1 query runs so,that I can use the saved variable in the following query.

Reagrds
Padma

Developer :india: (BOB member since 2006-03-16)

Can you please elaborate it ? i couldn’t understand your question .
What is following query means ? is it following query in same report ? (multidata provider) or in different reports.

If you want to use the variables in different reports then you can copy the variables and paste it to the word, excel or notepad and save it. when ever you want to apply the variables you can open saved file and copy/ paste your variables/formulas to your new report.

kool :nepal: (BOB member since 2005-04-15)

… or just create a new object in the universe instead, which will make it available to all reports written against that universe …

jac :australia: (BOB member since 2005-05-10)

Kool

Thanks for your reply we are using multidata provider
For the same report

Thanks
Padma :cry:

One option, though a bit ordinary, is to create a VERY basic report with these two dataproviders, and with the report variable, and make the report available to all users as a template from which to work…

They could just open it, save it under a different name, and add result objects and conditions to suit themselves…

Miss J Middleton ,

Thanks for your reply…,

I am not quit sure what your say will work for me.
We are using 5 Data providers to generate this report.
with 5 prompts ,Like
Date:
Top 25 :
Sic Code
Nice Code:
Sate or National Level:

So we generate a SQl with this prompts.
and create a chart like this I have to create 7 charts in one report.
I am saying is when first query is generated can we use this sql to generate next all say report or charts.So that we can avoid running the sql again.

pl. let me know If I sound correct or not .

Thanks

After reading your post, and as per my understanding:

When you have 5 DP’s to generate the report. Then all the 5 DP’s will run in sequence one after the other and you can’t avoid it running.

If you want one SQL or 1 DP to run , create only one DP with all the objects required in it.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

… You could have all 5 dataproviders in the template report … and the user can edit them if required.

Ok Padma,
After reading the thread, this is what i grouped.
You are having five data providers with number of prompts repeating. Now when you refresh the report you are having the prompt repeated. If it is the above mentioned, then you can assign the values entered in the first query prompts to the other prompts in other four data providers.
To answer HOW,
Now when you are creating the prompts in the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th query, you will bring in the object in the condition pane and after selecting Operator to be “Equla to” select “Show list of prompts” and select relevant prompt text from query one.

Now why i gave this above soultion- You said,

1. Other part, You said where you can duplicate a variable created in Query 1. No. any locally created variable (local Variable), cannot be carried over to a different Report (or *.rep) or a different data povider in the same report.

2. As Jac had mentioned earlier, create this object in the universe level.

Now since your reports are involved with multiple data providers, decide every stage even before you start.

Should be

And the answer to the above is No. We are still doing a guess work on your problem. If you could provide step by step process on how you are creating the report, that would give us more information on what you are doing and missing.

KhoushikTTT :us: (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

Indeed. Please do not use abbreviations. For example, say “please” not “pl”

I am Sorry for using Pl.(for Please) :yesnod:

Coming to my problem,

Let say when I am entering prompts its one time it carry to each Chart in the same report.
Like Date,Sic Code and all other prompts.What ever the prompts the user is entering.If we can capturer those prompts valuse and query the next Data Provider is that possible.

Is this any better.

If this is not good then I will post the Query.

Thanks

I think you want to capture the snapshot of your dataprovider. Thanks to Dwayne, this might help you…

kool :nepal: (BOB member since 2005-04-15)

You are having five data providers with number of prompts repeating. Now when you refresh the report you are having the prompt repeated. If it is the above mentioned, then you can assign the values entered in the first query prompts to the other prompts in other four data providers.
To answer HOW,
Now when you are creating the prompts in the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th query, you will bring in the object in the condition pane and after selecting Operator to be “Equla to” select “Show list of prompts” and select relevant prompt text from query one.

I have already answered your question.

KhoushikTTT :us: (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

@padma:

you are confusing us…

you have 5 DP’s or more, If you want the user input to be common for all the 5 DP’s and again it should ask only once for all DP’s, then you just need a prompt with the same ‘first’ argument…in @prompt (,) function …as explained by NewyorkBaasha.

for example, if your first prompt is

@prompt('Enter the value:',,,mono,free)

Then use the same message string ‘Enter the value:’ to all your DP’s. How to do that ? the easier way of doing it is explained by Baasha… in the previous post to this one.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)