BusinessObjects Board

Report Size is very big - 50MB for 50K records

I have created a BO Report which fetches 50K records in 3 mins but the size of .rep file is approx 50MB which I am concerned about. The report takes about 2 mins to load in Infoview.

The report contains about 20 dimensions and 30 measures (derived from 4 columns in DB).

Are there ways to reduce the size of the .rep file? May be some Universe object designing techniques.
The aim is make the loading of report faster in Infoview.

Thanks,
Manish

mkumar (BOB member since 2002-08-26)

Manish – is it possible that you had more than one Data Provider (query) in this report at one time … that you deleted?

If you don’t purge data providers before you delete them – then those data results are still there, making your *.rep file bigger.

In my opinion, BusinessObjects should purge a data provider when you delete it – but I haven’t submitted an enhancement request / bug report to that effect, and have no idea if anyone else has.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

check for unused variables too. That would slow it down. Memory fails me right now but don’t variables get recalculated whether they are used or not? And would they increase the size too?

scott copeland (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

IF this happens the only way to get the size of the document down is to recreate the document. This is easily done if you have the “Duplicate a Data Provider” ADD-IN utility downloaded from Dave’s website (www.integrasolutions.net). Once recreated then refreshed you should have a much smaller document. Even with 50K rows with all of the columns you mentioned the document should be closer to 5Mb not 50Mb. When recreating the document take advantage of BusObjs templates. Create a template from the source document and apply it to the copied document. Repeat this process for each report tab and you should have a new (smaller) document.

MikeMcErlain :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-08)

Or, you can just go to Bob’s Downloads right here – there are two versions, the newer of which allows you to also copy report variables.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I don’t remember having a deleted data provider.
But recreation of document does reduce the size to 16MB from 50MB.

I have two data providers in my reports and indeed a lot of report level variables which could be an explanation for still large size of report.

I will try it with the Bob download Duplicate DP utility and see if that works for me.

Thanks all for your timely help.

Ummm… strange question.

When you defined your MEASURE objects, you set up the SQL (Select) statement to do the aggregation right? You didn’t just go into the Object Properties > Properties Tab and set it to a measure and set the projection, right?

Whenever I see an abnormally “large” report, it’s my guess that every row is being fetched back while only the summary data is displayed in the report due to the aggregate projection.

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

You have raised a good point digpen. :cheers:

I intially was doing the same thing. That time report was fetching all the 250K records and displaying the aggregated values. Can you guess what was the report size that time… it was 100MB. :rotf: :rotf:

Then I put the SUM in Select statement of objects. Now the report fetches 50K records and report size got reduced to 50MB. and after recreating the document it further reduced to 16MB.

More ideas on further tuning techniques are welcome.

I tried re-creating the document using Bob downloadable Copy DP utility but that does not copy the report variables. Moreover the report window is all white. All the blocks/formatting is gone.
I think I will go with Dave’s Copy DP utility at integra site.

Just to give credit where credit is due, that utility was created by a former BUSOB-L Listserv member: Glenn Fredericks. Integra is merely providing the hosting. 8)

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

The utility here on BOB does not copy report tabs (report blocks, formatting, and so forth), but does copy more complex data providers and individual report variables. The utility hosted at Integra does not handle the more complex data providers (union queries and the like), and doesn’t copy individual report variables, but does copy report tabs.

Just a summary … pick the one (or combination) that works best for you.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Yeah,
Actually the two utilities are not exactly the same.
Although both copy the DPs but both serve different purposes altogether.

One deals with the complexity of DPs and other deals with the Complexity of Report formatting.
And Full Marks to both the utilities in doing what they are supposed to do.

So one has to see what he needs and then choose which one suits best for the requirement or may be combinition of both as suggested by Dwayne.

I don’t have complex data providers in my report but I do have a lot of report blocks and formatting done on that so going for Integra Utility.

Hi Mkumar,

by any chance do you have a copy “Duplicate a Data Provider” ADD-IN utility from Dave’s website (www.integrasolutions.net)…as the link to get the tool from dave website is not working any more.
I am facing a problem with report size bug and i need to create all my reports to reduce my report sizes…and all my reports has a lot of report blocks and formatting.

If you have here is my Email address to email me…

rajua99@gmail.com

Thanks in advance
Alluri

Rajua99 :india: (BOB member since 2004-12-16)

Has the link been corrected. I am in need of utilizing both utilities and the one from integrasolutions.net is still not functional.

mcliffordgoo :us: (BOB member since 2003-02-13)

I remember Dave saying he was going to remove the version from the Integra site. It wasn’t really his to begin with, had no support, and hadn’t been updated in years. Plus, the copy report tab functionality only worked on the simplest reports anyway. I had tested that functionality in my version at one point, but it was so ineffective I removed it.

If you want to try your hand at writing your own, this post may give you a nudge in the right direction. It was solving a different problem, but does demonstrate a technique for saving templates and applying them to other report pages. Before you do dabble with code though, I need to encourage you to try it by hand on your complex reports first. Save the template manually, and apply it manually to the “destination” report. Granted that our reports are highly formatted, but the results have always been disastrous for me.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)