BusinessObjects Board

Report performance

I have a report with 10 data providers: some of the data providers have split the query 'cos they have multiple dimentions on them and the Universe parameter is set to generate multiple sql for each measure, here is how they look:

Data Provider #        # of Queries it generates       # of rows returned
1                                3                                         785
2                                3                                         800
3 -8                            1 each                                  2-3 each
9                                3                                         11
10                              2                                          3

So I have 10 data providers and 17 queries in the report. The response time in my machine is 2 minutes 5 seconds. The user runs it for 45 minutes, the report has about 250 report level variables which are an outcome of the different data providers and can’t be done in the database level. other than the fact that the user is running an older system, what else can i do to make it run fast on their machines.

As you can see the number of rows returned is also very low so the machine performance, database performance and then the report level calculations to display the 250 values divided in about 8 TABS, any suggestions on how to make it faster on the users machine would be appreciated. Just making sure I’m not missing something here.

I have tested the times in both ZABO and Fullclient the difference is about 2 seconds.

jdrc :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-18)

Follow this link

https://bobj-board.org/t/15226/29

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

1. Are all of the objects being returned by the data providers actually being used in the report? If not, remove them form the queries.

2. Make sure that you clean up and delete all report based variables and formulae that are not actually being used by the report. If a variable has been defined in a report but is not actually being utilisd or displayed, it will still add to computation time. This is a common occurence when you use an existing report as the base for developing a new one.

anorak :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

1. All the Variables in the Report doc are used in all the tabs. On an average we have about 5-6 reports with 4-5 tabs. The number of formulas in the report is 1200, in each tab around 400 of them have been used.

2. Usually when you are computing the report for the 1st time it takes the most time and then switching btw tabs becomes fast. There is 1 particular report though which huge amount of time just to scroll thru the screen. every time the report is moved, it kind of recalculates and refreshes the screen. Don’t know why that is happening.

Any help appreciated.

I dont like th number of local variables you have in your report. Isnt there a chance to create there varaibles as Objects in Universe level.

KhoushikTTT :us: (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

:blue: Wow, you might have set a new recorde here.
I am surprised your report is working at all. Any chance of reducing this number of variables & formulas? What kind of mega report is that?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

The calculations can’t be pushed to the Universe :

1. Each Universe is pointing to 1 database and we have multiple data providers in the report, People Soft GL being one of them and the variances and consolidations from different systems are done in the report level, these are operational reports and not analytical ones.

2. In one particular report from the group the screen refresh when we scroll the report takes enormous time, the other ones just take time to switch from tab to tab and allow normal refresh, but this one does not move normally, using the scroll bar triggers the report to recalculate the formulas, any ideas on why that is happening ? If someone volunteers I can send the physical report over to view. Don’t want to post it for everyone. Andreas what is your take at this ?

How many data providers is this problem report using? How many data records per data provider are being returned? Are all data providers linked?

I am still :blue: about the number of variables/formulas being used though.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Andreas, Look at the bottom of the list for your answers.