BusinessObjects Board

Report 'performance'

I have a ‘quite’ complicated report that I’ve built in web intellingence xi, it takes ages for BO to calculate the results of each individual report which is v annoying. I’m fully aware that if what I’d done wasn’t so complex it’d be quicker & if I’d reduce the amount of information returned again it’d be quicker.

My question is when webi hangs like this and takes ages to do the requested action, is it my machine that is struggling or is it the server BO sits on?

Many thanks

Steve

SteveD :uk: (BOB member since 2009-11-02)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

[Moderator Note: Moved to WebIntelligence XI - Jansi]

Nevertheless, I would suggest you to take a look at this FAQ.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Thanks - but as mentioned, the FAQ’s nothing I’m not already aware of. I’ve speeded up my query & variables as much as possible already to still retain accurate results. What I’d like to understand is where the processing of preparing the report data on screen is done because I seem to have hit a issue on that front now that I need to address.

Hi:

From report performance tuning perspective, I would suggest following:
Take the report query as is.
Run it with sqlplus if its oracle or Enterprise manager for SQL Server
Get the query plan.
Check out the table statistics are upto date if not schedule a job to collect the table stats.
Check the query plan whether its using the existing indexes properly or if there is any tablescans against large tables.
Create necessary indexes on those large table if any tablescans.
Rerun the query and get the timings
Findout how many concurrent sessions in the database back-end side …if its too many, you may expect slowness depends on server load.
Repeat the tables/indexes tuneup until you get satisfied query performance.
Engage DBA to check out from Server configuration / memory allocation perpective also.
Engage Windows admin to check out # CPU’s, memory usage on the BOE Server.
If there are many concurrent BOE users who are running many reports …then need to perform capacity planning/ analysis.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Ramesh Vasudevan

rameshbalajiv (BOB member since 2008-03-25)

Many thanks for that. That’ll help me progress this no-end :slight_smile:

Ramesh,

I don’t think Steve has a problem with the query performance from what he’s saying. He has concerns about how his setup of WebI is performing once the data has been returned.

Specifically, he wants to know whether the client or server does the data munching and where the bottleneck is occurring in the processing of the data into the report display.

Steve,

How many rows are you bringing back, how many variables, etc.?
Just thought people would want to know to say whether the volumes that you are dealing with are excessive, indicating a general issue with WebI or a specific issue in your environment.

Cheers,
Mark

He may want to consider moving report objects back to the universe or even back to the underlying data repository.

Damocles :uk: (BOB member since 2006-10-05)

Hi:

Yes … As a DBA, Universe designer and Report Developer, when I encounter this situation of performance issue on the report side,
I will try process the data as much as possible in the backend instead of doing the calculations in front end (WebI) so we can have all the load on the backend and use the UNIX or Windows database engine power.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Ramesh Vasudevan

rameshbalajiv (BOB member since 2008-03-25)