BusinessObjects Board

Report Bursting

[Moved to BCA Forum - Nick]

Has anyone used this yet or can tell me how to get started using this? I see how to set the parameters in Supervisor but what do you need to do in Broadcast Agent or Reports?

Thanks
Lori

bachman :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-24)

Okay, when you File/Send To…Broadcast Agent, in the Actions tab there is a radio button which allows you to choose Standard Actions (Refresh, Print etc) or ‘Refresh with the profile of each recipient’. If you choose the latter and choose to distribute the report to three people, each of which has a different row limit in the universe (as an example), then the report is refreshed - as if it was signed on as each of those people. Was that the sort of thing you wanted? 8)

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Nick - Since you move my topic is this something that is particular to Broadcast Agent? Can you tell me anything more about it?

Thanks

The idea behind report bursting is that you may have written a report which has a large audience. Lets imagine that some of the recipients are managers and some are normal staff and some are admin. You may want each group of people to see a different version of the report. For example the managers see information about all the people in their team and other teams in their department. The normal staff should only see information about their team and the admin staff should only see info about themself. Now lets say that you have implemented security in Supervisor to do this.

(Universe tab in Supervisor, select Properties and go to the Rows tab)

So if you have done all this hard work in supervisor - (putting the restrictions in so that admin staff only see info about themselves etc) - it is a waste of time to write three reports. So you write a single report and depending who is signed on determines what is displayed once the report is run.

So Report Bursting is just doing this through BCA - it in effect signs on as each recipient, looks at their profile and runs the accordingly modified SQL. Hope this is clearer.

ok, maybe that is not exactly what I am looking for. Here’s what I want to do.

I have a report(really they are letters). I have created a PDF file for them out of Business Objects, the problem with this is that the letters are all in one PDF document. What I want to do is somehow have Business Object split up the documents based on a variable. (say when the to: name changes). I have found a document from integra solutins web site but maybe this is not the same thing that I want to do. THe name fo the document is Filter and Export via VBA. Any ideas on how to handle my report?

When you say that you want to split the PDF up - whats going to happen. You are just going to have a bunch of smaller PDFs? Its starting to sound like a VBA solution…

yes, I will have smaller PDF files. I actually need to split them up before they go to PDF format because once they are in PDF I don’t think I can do it there. They are just letters that we are going to produce automatically through Broadcast Agent then I have a VBA macro that will e-mail them to the desired recipents. I don’t know that much about VBA,I have only done the sending the e-mails out through VBA and the instructions were posted here on BOB. If I do it through VBA with this info that I haveon what trigger do I put it on?

THanks
Lori

I have to disagree:

Report bursting (a feature of BCA Publisher or which can be achieved using VBA) is running/refreshing a BO document once, THEN filtering it according to the users’ profiles (security restrictions) and sending different filtered versions of the same BO document to different users.

For Example:

BO Document: Displays Revenue by Region
User A has access only to Region RA
User B has access only to Region RB

If you use regular BCA Scheduler and select refresh with each user’s profile then BCA Scheduler will:
Refresh the document once for user A and send it to him/her
Refresh the document again for user B and send it to him/her

BCA Publisher will:
Refresh the document only ONCE with no user restrictions
Then document is being filtered for user A and sent to user A
The same document is then filtered for user B and sent to user B

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

[Moved to VBA forum! - Nick]

Can you provide some more info about the report and what it contains and on what piece or pieces of information you want to split things up? Hopefully someone with a bit more vba knowledge can chip in…

Its all report bursting. Publisher just does it like we always wanted BCA to do it. Read the BCA or Supervisor manuals - they call it Report Bursting with reference to a Supervisor/BCA solution. Its all just semantics. I agree that Publisher is nice - but I don’t have a spare $50,000 right now. Anyway - lets see if Lori gets a solution :yesnod:

What I have are Notification letters based on a person length of service. I have generated letters from Business objects based on who is coming up on their 6 month anniversary. I then need to turn around and e-mail these letters to the section chiefs of the various divisions. So in my bo report it produces three letters fro example, one for Lori bachman, one for Nick Daniels and one for person xxxx. I need to split these letters out based on the persons name, they all come out in one report now. These letters are only one page long,so I can do it by page if need be. In the end I want these letters to be 3 PDF reports that I can turn around and e-mail to the recipients. Aby ideas on how to do this? Would this be the same as saving each individual section as a PDF?

Thanks

BO calls it “single refresh report bursting”, otherwise you are correct Nick.

I think that the download from Integra Solutions you mentioned sounds like it could be ideal. I would suggest getting a copy and reading up on it - with a little tinkering you might have a solution 8)

Look at Integra Solution “Filter and Export with VBA” and at “Send Mail via VBA” from the Code section in BOB…that should give you some good ideas.

The macro at our web site should do just fine. You provide a variable (currently hard coded in the macro to Resort) that will drive the filter. The macro then filters the document based on each value present in that variable, and generates a separate PDF file for each value.

You can then do whatever you want to further process that file, including, as mentioned, using the email code found here on Bob to send out the file. The macro on our web site is very simple; only has a couple dozen lines of code or so.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Is there a way to know when the report bursting is over?
I need to launch a macro automatically when the report bursting is over.

mkumar (BOB member since 2002-08-26)

Setting a trigger on the repository table could be a solution DS_PENDING_JOB.JOB_STATUS=3 means running

pabloj (BOB member since 2003-03-27)