BusinessObjects Board

Removing 'no data to fetch' messages

Hi,

I’m running a query in BO 6.5, and have a situation where, depending on the values entered at the prompts, one of the 2 data providers I’m using may be empty. Basically, each DP returns data for a financial half year. If the query is concerned entirely with the first half, then the second will return no data, and vice versa. As a result, I don’t want to see the ‘No data to fetch’ message (well, I don’t mind it but it confuses users)

I’ve checked the Reporter FAQs, and there is a programatic solution in there, but unfortunately it suppresses all of the prompt windows as well. Does anyone know if there any way of suppressing one and not the other?
Any help gratefully appreciated

Andy Calvert
John Lewis Partnership

acalvert (BOB member since 2006-08-29)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

What you’ve seen is what there is. There is not a good way to do this.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I had a terrible feeling that might be the case. Thanks for the update!

Andy Calvert
John Lewis Partnership

If possible you could use a union query if the same data fields are used.

But I assume that you use 2 DPs due to the fact that the data is disparate. In that case would it be possible to create a dummy table (or more than one) that retrieves a neutral record?
In that case you can use union queries that are bound to retrieve at least one row while retaining the option for prompts.

KMB :uk: (BOB member since 2004-02-11)

But…

I found this in FAQ,

Hope its useful

KhoushikTTT :us: (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

If you keep on reading in the FAQ about no data to fetch you’ll see instructions for using union queries or for using contexts and dummy records to suppress the message. I have definitely used the contexts and dummy records alternative and it works. I have a multiple prompt, multiple data provider report that often doesn’t have data returned from every DP and the messages do not appear. Did this for the same reason you gave in that it was annoying and confusing for the users.

Debbie Kelly :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll give them a try and let you all know when there’s a happy ending

Andy