BusinessObjects Board

Removing all of the unneeded users from BOXIR2

I have a need to remove all of the unneeded users from BOXIR2. I need to get a list of all users in BO (from MYSQL) and then compare it to an employee table that I have in our data warehouse and if the users that no longer show up in the employee table, I want to delete from MySQL. Can you delete from MySQL?

Is something like this doable? I looked at various SDK and didn’t see anything like this.

Thanks,

Terance

tb185024 :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

I wouldn’t suggest you delete users by removing them from the CMS database. As far as I know, business objects don’t support update statements to the datebase.
I suggest you generate a list of users using the sdk (something like this - BOXI UserList & Group Extraction) and then do a manual cross reference and manual deletion from business objects.

wildest (BOB member since 2005-07-07)

I have a manual process very similar to what you have mentioned. But I was trying to get it automated so I don’t have to manually delete them from CMC. I heard awhile ago that BO suggested not deleting directly from the database tables. I didn’t know if that was still the case.

What are some of the ways that other admins delete users on a quarterly/monthly basis? Does anyone else do this process?

You can automate this process using the API. User’s are IInfoObjects that can be obtained through a query. Use one query to get the list of user’s the BO knows about, use another method to get the list from your employee table and find the differences. Then execute a third query against BO that obtains the IInfoObject for each user that you want to delete. Once you execute the delte operation on all the user’s commit the changes to BO.

jwhite9 :us: (BOB member since 2006-07-28)

Thanks for the suggestion jwhite,

I’m kinda new to this, what do you mean by API? Also, Is there code already created to do this sort of thing?

In my scenerio, my BO user accounts are in MySQL and my employee table is in a teradata database. What are the possibilities of getting the data together to do the comparisons?

On the third query to do the delete, would that be done in Query Builder?

All of what I described would need to be written using the Business Objects SDK. You can use the .Net or Java SDK and may even be able to do it with VBA. You would need to have this new utility connect to Business Objects and your Teradata database to perform the work. You would not connect directly to the Business Objects repository database, that will only cause problems.

You cannot perform deletes through the Query Builder, only selects.

Are there classes that you can take to learn SDK coding?

You would need to know how to write Java, .Net or VBA applications first, once that has been completed then you can look to leverage the Business Objects SDK.