BusinessObjects Board

Relating scheduled instances to their original report

Hi
Ive done a lot of searching before posting this and cant see an answer.

When a report is scheduled, it creates a new object in the cms for the instance of the report - this object has a new CUID.

I would like to be able to relate this new instance object back to the base report it is based on to get an accurate picture of report usage e.g. you could count up the instances to work out how many times a report has been scheduled and therefore get a picture of its use. I realise you could use the audit tables for this, but they don’t seem to relate the instance back to the base object.
It seems fundamental to me that this is the only way of getting an accurate count of usage but I cant find anybody else trying to do the same thing online so Im wondering
(a) does anyone else count usage via schedules and if so how?
(b) can you relate the scheduled instance to the original object? I think this might be via SI_TEMPLATE_CUID but I cant find anyway of extracting this out using the SDK - there are no methods or properties for this anywhere.

Any help gratefully received as Im now against a brick wall and am trying to assess which reports we should take into out 4.1 environment suring an upgrade
thanks in advance

mholdroyd :uk: (BOB member since 2007-11-05)

Could you not do it via audit and the number of times the object has been run, last post, linky here?

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3633983

Isn’t this safer than just what has been scheduled to ascertain actual usage?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Thanks for the response,
the issue is that the CUID that is recorded on the audit event table is that of the instance as opposed to that of the original base object so its the same problem, Im convinced I must be misunderstanding the way this works as working out how many times a report has been scheduled should be fairly fundamental.
cheers

Bit confused as scheduling has an event type of run.
I thought this could be extracted by a simple Auditor report, providing you have the audit event set up.

Bit confused why you would need the CUID for the instance to get this info, via Auditor ?

http://scn.sap.com/community/bi-platform/blog/2013/06/03/businessobjects-auditing–considerations-enablement

Agreed, situation may be different if you are using the SDK to do it.

Also have you checked BoBs downloads?
https://bobj-board.org/t/168709

Thanks again
I probably wasn’t explicit enough, sometine in the past, someone here decided to extract the information from the audit database AND the CMS using the SDK, aned join them together in our warehouse. This is so we could add folder information, user information etc to the data.

Not sure what you mean by event type of ‘Run’ is this a BO 4 thing? We are still on 3.1. This work is to help with the upgrade, specifically, are there any reports not run - ad-hoc or scheduled - so we don’t have to convert them and also what are the more popular reports - ad-hoc and scheduled - to make sure these at least are identified and tested. This is why I need CUID, I need to link the two together i.e. CMS output and audit.
That been said, I can use the download to give me some figures to start off with. From your questions and experience, Im guessing this isn’t an approach used by many - I know that our audit database got to the size where we couldn’t run reports very easily on it and the thinking was probably to make it easier to report on
thanks again

Yep, sorry I believe Run is a 4x event, sorry :oops:

Hopefully the download will help, depending on the time periods you want to use, given the size of your audit DB.

At least it may help with priorities.

Always a difficult exercise you are trying to do.
It can help if you can keep the old system running for a time and wait for people to request some of the reports they are “missing”.

Good Luck!

Are you trying to get the original base report, or the recurring schedule that produced the instance?

If the former, then it’s simply si_parentid. For the latter, use si_new_job_id.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thanks, good point, probably the original base report to get numbers of overall refreshes is the second one a v4.0, thing, don’t recall seeing it but I’ll look again. I have seen parent cuid pointing to a temporary folder for a completed instance

Just for the sake of completeness, I’ve tried this and the SI_NEW_JOB_ID seems to be null for all instance CI_INFOOBECTS (i.e. anything with SI_INSTANCE set to 1) of kind WEBI and PARENT_ID seems to set to a folder - this is in the case of instances that have a SCHEDULE_TYPE of “Once” - in this case the folder is the temporary folder - I think these represent instances that have run once but then been deleted - again the issues comes back to relating these and their events back to the original report to get counts for that original report - again, I think Im misunderstanding something as I would have thought you would always be able to relate an instance back to the report its based on - any more light that could be shed or an example of obtaining something with a value in S_NEW_JOB_ID would be much appreciated

That’s very different from what I see. For non-instances (base reports), I would expect si_new_job_id to be null and si_parentid to be the folder.

But for one-time (“Once” or “Now”) schedules, si_new_job_id matches the object’s si_id. For completed recurring instances, si_new_job_id points to the ID of the recurring instance that generated the job. In all cases where si_instance = 1, the si_parentid is the parent WebI report.

This is one of the queries I used to validate:

select top 100 si_name,si_id,si_kind,si_new_job_id,si_parentid,si_scheduleinfo.si_schedule_type,si_schedule_status from ci_infoobjects where si_instance = 1 order by si_id desc

Thanks I’ll use your query and see what I get back - which version are you on? Thanks again for your responses

BI4.1 SP06 Patch 1.