BusinessObjects Board

Reduce the size of BO Report

Some of my earlier Business Object report are too bulky and I am not able to minimise there size. They are taking about 17 mb space whereas when I create new Business Object reports from scratch they only take 200 kb. Can anybody suggest me some ways to shrink these report. Note that 17 mb space is coming after purging the data. Thanks in advance

dgoswami :india: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

Given that you have purged, the best thing that I can suggest is checking the size of any logos/pictures that you have inserted - irrespective of the dimensions on the report, any inserted logo maintains its original file size.
Use something like the stretch and skew functionality in MS Paint to reduce the size of the logo.

Regards,
Mark

I have noticed the same phenomena in some of our corporate reports. If your report make 17mb after purge, the only possibility is that data are still stored in (or were stored twice)

It was a bug which sometimes occured with old release of Bo (< 513)

You can check if the reports still has data using hexEditor or etree appl.

I think BO has corrected this trouble in last release.

1. with bo 518, try to purge/refresh/purge this report to see if it correctw the trouble
  2. if not, you will have to rebuild the report exporting layout as template and recreating DP

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

It was a bug that should now be fixed in 5.1.8
As suggested in the previous reply, you can see the excess data using a hex editor.
The reason is - that each report contains an internal LDB file that stores its info / data … including all the objects, variables, formulas etc.

In earlier versions the purge was not cleaning out redundant data from the ldb file

Reporter Bloke :uk: (BOB member since 2004-05-20)

Can anybody tell me what is this hex editor ? Is it some kind of freeware?

dgoswami :india: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

A little prog that allow you to see the code of any type of file.

But you can also do it with notepad

try this (first reply of google)

or

or http://www.ultraedit.com/ (the best one but $$)

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

I thought that ldb files were related to Microsoft Access?

To clarify, in my experience if you have reports in this state where you may have deleted data providers in the past but didn’t purge them, then opening them and saving in 5.1.8 doesn’t reduce the size.

And I’d forget hex editors - notepad will show you what you need to know.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

… just a friendly nag… if you had searched using the terms “reduce size” before posting, you would have found a number of existing topics that discuss this same question, including this one. 8)

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)