BusinessObjects Board

Redesign universes, not affect reports

We have a structure of universes that were created for regional access, so there are five universes named similarly, they are duplicates but have a region filter. Names of five universes indicate the region - DRMResAM, DRMResAS, DRMResEU, etc. I want to change the security model and consolidate the five universes to one. Is this possible without breaking Deski or Webi reports on these universes? It was suggested I create a new universe with the new security model and re-create these five as derived (they would all be exactly the same). But I am wondering if it is possible to consolidate them all to one and not affect the report users. Is there a concept of a universe alias?

JanetCoker (BOB member since 2008-03-27)

look for linked universe

Eljo :us: (BOB member since 2005-08-10)

You can surely have only one universe if all your existing universes structure is same. You can then apply “Connection restriction” in Tools --> Manage Security for each group/ client.

Does it affect Reports? Yes it does. How many Reports are you talking about - Like a couple thousands?

What you can do though is when you have only one universe, like I said above, try and use the same universe structure. When the users try to open their Reports, they will get an error message - something like Universe not found or something. What they can do is Edit the query --> Click properties and select the new universe. This should resolve the issue. I’m afraid there is not automatic way to do all this and should be done for each Report.

But maintaining once universe instead of 5 helps a lot and we did all the above in our environment and it works great.

sunjer (BOB member since 2008-01-30)

I would avoid linked universes, they are cumbersome and won’t directly address your issue IMO.

The above error message will occur if you delete your universes, so don’t delete any universes until you have repointed your reports to use your new universe.

You should search for @BOUSER and read up on the “Manage Security” option under the tools menu in Designer… here is one such topic

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)