BusinessObjects Board

Recommended Reading?

I just started a new position with a company that is about to install XIR3. I’ll be pretty much the only BoBj position for quite some time, doing everything from Security, Universe Design and Document creation.

I’ve done this before, however my previous exposure has all been with XIR2. Are there a few books someone can recommend (and has read themselves hopefully) that might cover the following topics…Sadly I won’t be able to make the conference this year, so if you also know a good place to purchase them that’d be helpful. (Otherwise it’s Amazon search time)

1. Differences between XIR2 vs XIR3 both in Universe Design and WEBI Document creation. Everything I’ve seen seems to be a little basic and geared for first time users, mostly for XIR2. I’m interested in learning the NEW features of XIR3.

2. A good book for Xcelsisus. The one I have “Crystal Xcelsius for Dummies” is very outdated (predates the BO Version).

I don’t think I’ll need a CMC/Security book, as I’m very familar with the old interface, and unless they really started to hide/change things I think I can figure my way through it… but if those of you with experience know differently, please speak up :slight_smile:

Thanks in Advance

Jordan

JPetlev (BOB member since 2006-11-01)

For Xcelsius 2008 I’d recommend “Xcelsius 2008 Dashboard Best Practices” by Loren Abdulezer

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, have you read all of the “What’s New” documentation for the newer versions? If you are comfortable with universe and report design from XIR2 those documents do a good job of detailing the changes, in my opinion.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

The security model is little different and if you don’t know those differences, you might end up creating a mess. The following presentation will be very helpful.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Actually I’ve been trying to locate that sort of material today…(Only my 2nd day on the new job and bounching back and forth between meetings).

If you have a quick link that would be great… otherwise I’m sure I’ll find it on the boards here sooner or later :wink:

Edit: NM , if I had read the post after your’s I’d hava seen the link. Thanks Zack!

Now that’s just plain funny… one of the reasons I posted this topic to begin with was because I was at the 2008 conference and went to this very topic. I just hadn’t been able to use XIR3 since my previous office shut down just weeks after we upgraded… now that I was back in the BoBJ game again I thought “…I remember a great session last year… but none of the details…maybe someone knows a reference book with all the new features”. After re-reading that presentation, I think it’s safe to say I shouldn’t have any issues with Security or the CMC.

If you are coming to the 2009 User Conference, you should be able to find more detailed information on the XI 3.x security because this version has been out for a year now.

You can find the User Conference information at this link:
http://www.gbnannualconference.org

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

Sadly no, I will not be attending the Dallas conference this year. I was forced to swich companies due to massive lay-offs etc… and today is my 3rd day on the Job at my new employer… a bit too early to ask them to foot the bill for a conference like this.

Hopefully my new employer will love BOBJ so much that next year we’ll be attending.

I’ve been to the last 3 or 4, so this kinda sucks.

As for the security stuff… I’ve done a bit more research and I think I’ll be just fine, especially with the custom access groups ability… that will give me lots of room to ‘play’. Moving on to the new LCM systems hehe.

Sorry to hear that. But look at the bright side that you have found a job. Many people are still looking.

Don’t hold your breathe. Many people I talked to are not attending the conference because employers do not have the budget during this economic hard time. Companies are cutting conferences and training expenses.

I suggest you to just set one up and try it out. That is the only way to find out what works and what does not work.

Good luck.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)