BusinessObjects Board

Reboot strategy

Hi all,

We are currently deploying BOE Xir2 on Windows / Tomcat.
Under previous release BO 6.1.3 on Windows / Apache / tomcat we weekly reboot our Win server.

I don’t know if we have to reboot our win server using BOE Xir2 ?
Any experience / feedback ?

Thanks
Regards

We used to do the same in our 5.x environment. We decided given the new architecture with XI, we are going to give it a go with no health reboots to see if isolated service restarts are all it takes.

Guess we are taking a leap of faith. :wink:

Eric Vallo :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Coming from the legacy BO world, I initially proposed to have a weekly reboot of all servers. But as of this moment, this has not been implemented. We are in production for a few months and we have not experienced any problem whatsoever.

I have been recycling services every time when I rolled out a new release, and it has been quite frequent. In the first couple months, we were very aggressive and had weekly release.

Since we are still in phase 1 with limited number of users, this does not tell me much. When we move to phase 2 and have thousands of users, I will get a better feel.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

We are running on 2003 SP1 with the CMS and data sources on SQL Server 2000 SP3. Our users only log in during normal business hours (in one Timezone) so I incorporate a recycle into the nightly Veritas backup. i.e. I have a Pre and Post script to shut down and start up the Database and all XI services every night at 23:00. This ensures we get a clean backup with no locked files - useful for a point in time restore. The disadvantage of this method is that if there is a tape/Veritas problem, then the backup job hangs and the services are still down in the morning. We have only implemented this nightly recycle in Development at the moment due to this very issue. However our Production services (which are not recycled every night) do seem to be stable. Be aware that there are Knowledgebase articles relating to Webi memory leaks - so make sure you research and apply the latest CHF if you are experiencing issues. Speaking if which…when is that CHF going to be updated on the BO site I wonder? ( http://ftp1.businessobjects.com/outgoing/CHF/boXIr2win_chf.zip ) I just downloaded and it is STILL the May 5th one. SP2 round the corner perhaps? Or maybe everyone is on holiday? :lol:

Regards

Rod

rodallen :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-10)

sorry I mean July 5th (its still pretty old though - I had become used to it changing every Friday?)

rodallen :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-10)

According to the platforms documentation, the minimum SQL Server 2000 SP is SP4. We are also on SP3, but we are upgrading this weekend to SP4.

http://support.businessobjects.com/communitycs/technicalpapers/boe_xi_r2_supported_platforms_windows.pdf

unds :canada: (BOB member since 2006-12-09)

We restart our CMS services nightly. Clustered environment.

BOE XI R2 / 2 W2K3 Servers / SLQ SP4 / TomCat

Ever since we started doing our nightly CMS restarts, our system has been pretty stable. Before that we were having constant problems.

Right unds?

:rotf:

bradshaw :canada: (BOB member since 2007-02-22)

We are running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 on all servers. Last December, we rolled out Business Objects to 3,500 stores with 20,000 users. Our users in Operation don’t stay on very long though. They typically just log on, get their reports and then log off. As of today, the highest number of concurrent users I have seen was around 400-500. It stays at around 70-100 through out the day.

So far I have not had a set schedule to recycle the servers. Sometimes, the servers are not recycled for a few weeks. I am quite impressed that the application is holding up very well.

Our next phases will be the rollout of workforce analytics, marketing analytics, and product analytics. Those users will stay on longer and perform more heavy-duty querying. I will wait and see how it goes.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

There have been a few posts in BOB as to restart scripts - there is a bat one that utilises netstart and I have a perl script in BOB’s downloads that could be altered.
i.e. I’d suggest setting this up as scheduled job during your low peak hours.

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Do a search on “sc.exe”, there’s a script that someone offered up which unlike netstart/netstop, allows you to stop/start the BO services across several physical machines. It’s a very helpful script in a clustered environment…

HTH -

DJ

DJ06482 :us: (BOB member since 2002-11-22)

I’m interested in that perl script, can you send it to me ?

RikDeclercq :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-09-28)

Sure - Service Monitor Script - Perl for Windows Services
Let me know if you need any guidance with it as it was more than just a restart script i.e. it would start up the services on a standby server if any of the primary node services would not start.

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)