BusinessObjects Board

R2 --> R3 Security Changes

Is there any documentation or an existing thread in this forum that discusses the changes to security from XIR2 to R3? Thanks.

bregent (BOB member since 2004-02-06)

Mostly security of BOXIR2 and BOXIR3 is the same(if concern the rights) but physical appearance is different.
Check this thread and follow to implement in BOXI3.x.
Download the doc XI 3.0 Security for Mere Mortals

get back if you have any issues.

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)

Actually, there are some important differences:

• XI R3 offers breaking of inheritance to sub-objects (sub-folders) when applying rights via CMC
  • XI R3 offers trumping of rights
  • XI R3 offers the capability to create your own custom access levels

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Could you please elaborate the same.

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)

XI R3 offers breaking of inheritance to sub-objects (sub-folders) when applying rights via CMC

I’m confused about this. Can’t you break inheritance to a sub folder in R2?

bregent (BOB member since 2004-02-06)

First of all, the latest version of BusinessObjects is NOT R3 because R/3 is actually an SAP ERP product. So the name has already been reserved in the SAP world. The official name is simply XI 3.1.

Although XI 3.1 provide you more flexibility to customize the security, the CMC interface is really a step backward. The refresh is slow, and when you have a lot of users or a lot of objects, the maintenance chores have become painful.

After you made a change to a user or an object, the stupid screen will automatically refresh and you are back to the top of the list. I have found it extremely annoying. It will be much better if it can hold the place where your last modification is. I find myself constantly scrolling down when I have to make changes to multiple objects, and I have to remember which one was the last one that I changed. You can easily lose track of it because of the automatic refresh of screen. It is a terrible design.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)