BusinessObjects Board

Querying Universe controls

Hello Experts,

we have 300+ universes in our system and we need to fetch queryexecution limit and Limit result set values for all universes.

what will be best possible way to get this information?

Thanks,
Lee

Leong BO XI (BOB member since 2007-08-09)

You can get this information using the Enterprise SDK. You need to fetch the universe from ci_appobjects and then get the ci_appobjects that have the universe as its parent. Cast the object to an IOverload and then fetch the relevant information.

jwhite9 :us: (BOB member since 2006-07-28)

Thanks much for your information.

They would have provide propreties for controls in query refrence language (Query Builder).
I am very new to SDK, can you please provide some sample code if you have any?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Leong BO XI (BOB member since 2007-08-09)

We used a product from EV Technologies called Sherlock, specifically the Universe Inspector component (http://evtechpartners.com/home/products/sherlockui). It documents all access restriction/overrides and you can report on that data pretty easily.

ShawnBaty :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-23)

You can use Dwayne’s utility in the BOB’s Downloads section: Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK
Enterprise SDK will only give you information about Access restrictions aka Overloads, not the actual controls you see in the universe parameters.

Rachid

rachidb :morocco: (BOB member since 2006-07-06)

Hi All,

I have the exact same requirement as the original poster, but I am unsure after reading the responses here whether or not it is possible to obtain the Universe Controls information through the BOE SDK (specifically Java). jwhite9 said “yes” and rachidb said “no”.

My own research revealed that this information can be reached and set through the “Universe Designer SDK”, the classes are all listed here:
http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXI/en/whgdata/whlstt1783.htm#1783

According to the documentation there the class is called “ControlOption” and the properties that I want are:
LimitExecutionTime Property (ControlOption Class)
LimitExecutionTimeValue Property (ControlOption Class)
LimitSizeofLongTextObject Property (ControlOption Class)
LimitSizeofLongTextObjectsValue Property (ControlOption Class)
LimitSizeofResultSet Property (ControlOption Class)
LimitSizeofResultSetValue Property (ControlOption Class)

However, I am still a novice in the BOE SDK world and I don’t know enough to be able to determine if I could possibly write something in Java/JSP that would be able to retrieve the information in these properties. I don’t know whether I could even use JSP to access the Universe Designer SDK and I certainly don’t know how I would set this up.

Please let me know if this data is reachable and for bonus points it would be extremely helpful to have an example of how I might reach this data using any technology if JSP is not possible.

dajabon (BOB member since 2003-09-09)

You can only use the Designer SDK from something like VBA, there are a lot of examples in the BOB’s Downloads area that should help.

jwhite9 :us: (BOB member since 2006-07-28)

I’m only slightly familiar with .NET, but I know it is possible to create a “wrapper” for a COM library, then reference that in your code. I’m assuming something similar is available with Java. In any case though, it still requires an instance of Designer to be instantiated, which by definition is only possible on a Windows platform.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks you so Dwayne and jwhite9!

OK, when/if I figure out how to make it happen in JSP I will report back. Either way I have to do a wrapper because corporate policy prevents me from installing MS Office on a production server.

dajabon (BOB member since 2003-09-09)