BusinessObjects Board

Query to a Object in Universe

Hello

Could anyone kindly tell me if I could use something like this in Designer

"SELECT emp_no, SUM(leave_accrued)
from emp_leave_years 
WHERE scheme_code = 'Annual' 
GROUP BY scheme_code,emp_no"

This query basically gives the total Annual leave for all employees over the years.
How can I get this kind of query into a Object of a Universe?
If this cannot be achieved, should I be looking at the idea of using a View?

Any help will be higyly appreciated?

Thanks a lot
Namit

namitrs :us: (BOB member since 2006-11-28)

I don’t think this is the way you should be thinking about this. You don’t “put queries into universes” 
 you put objects into universe, with each object having it’s own little piece of SQL in order to retrieve/use that object, and when a bunch of objects are used together, then it builds up a bigger and bigger piece of SQL.

To take your example, you would (should!) probably create the following objects:

*** This next part assumes a BASIC level of universe design knowledge - if you don’t have that, then open Designer and have a play about :wink: ***

Object Name: Employee Number
Select: emp_leave_years.emp_no
Where: [leave empty]

Object Name: Employee Accrued Annual Leave
Select: emp_leave_years.leave_accrued
Where: emp_leave_years.scheme_code = ‘Annual’

Now if you drag both of these objects into your query panel it will produce a query that looks a little like what you wanted 
 it will be something like this:

SELECT emp_no, leave_accrued
FROM emp_leave_years
WHERE scheme_code = ‘Annual’

You will get a list of ALL employees and their “accrued leave”.
In Business Objects you can simply SUM the “accrued leave” column now and you will get what you are looking for 
 a TOTAL figure of accrued leave for all employees.

I know there are other ways of getting this, but this seems the most flexible :wink: Expert designers feel free to critique :wink:

Regards,
Pete

Peter Hughes :uk: (BOB member since 2005-11-21)

I would always shy away from using the where clause in an object, it’s too easy to add two mutually exclusive objects which then cancel each other out.
I would use something like:

case emp_leave_years.scheme_code when 'Annual' then emp_leave_years.leave_accrued else null end

RossGoodman :uk: (BOB member since 2004-03-23)

The idea is always to keep a Universe as flexible as possible and not create very report sepcific objects.
So, another solution for the same would be to create a Dimension Object for scheme_code.

Remove the where condition in the Employee Accrued Annual Leave object and make it
Object Name: Accrued Leave
Select: sum(emp_leave_years.leave_accrued)
Where: Empty

In the result objects pane, pull Emp no, schema code and Accrued Leave
In the Condition objects pane, simply pull in scheme_code and give the condition scheme_code = ‘Annual’

The resulting query will be

select emp_leave_years.emp_no, emp_leave_years.scheme_code,sum(emp_leave_years.leave_accrued)
from emp_leave_years 
WHERE emp_leave_years.scheme_code = 'Annual' 
GROUP BY emp_leave_years.emp_no, emp_leave_years.scheme_code

The universe is also more generic now

srividya.s (BOB member since 2006-10-28)

Can someone please throw some light on this :When to use the Aggregate functions SUM() etc in the Objects itself and when to leave this for the BO/Report to do aggregation

As BO too applies the Aggregate method on a Measure level 
if we have set one

It would really help.Thanks a lot

Thanks
R

ravisharma (BOB member since 2007-06-08)

It really depends what you want to see.

If you “normally” want to have the ability to see the discrete values then you would not apply an aggregate.

If you are aggregating most of the time, then put the appropriate function in the object definition.

I tend to always put an aggregate function on my measures, but there are always exceptions.

NOTE:
If you do not use an aggregate then you will get “lots” of data returned over the network and you will have large documents which require local processing power to calculate the aggregates.
If you do use an aggregate then your big powerful database server will give you the answer you asked for in the smallest possible data set and your report just has to display it.

RossGoodman :uk: (BOB member since 2004-03-23)

Moved to Semantic Layer forum.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi,
Apart from the explanation Ross gave for using aggregate functions on an object, there is another reason too - We risk getting incorrect results if aggregate functions are not used.
Before we go into the explanations, there is one important point to note -

• Even if we set this option, the option works only at the report level, not at the data fetch level.

Case 1:
Let us consider this,
Following are the records in Table1
Day-Region-Sales
Sunday-R1-100
Monday-R1-100
We need region wise sales i.e., the result should be R1, 200
Suppose in the Universe, Region is a dimension object and Sales is a measure object defined as Table1.Sales.
Suppose the option “Choose how the measure will be projected when aggregated” is set to “Sum” and Sum() is not used in the definition.

Now, while building the report,

1. The option “Retrieve Duplicate Rows” is checked and Region and Sales are pulled into the result pane.
    The query generated will be Select Table1.Region,Table1.Sales from Table1
    The result set will be
    R1, 100
    R1, 100
    So when aggregated against R1, the report will show R1, 200 - Correct result
  2. The option “Retrieve Duplicate Rows” is unchecked and Region and Sales are pulled into the result pane.
    The query generated will be
    Select DISTINCT Table1.Region,Table1.Sales from Table1
    The result set will be
    R1, 100 - Incorrect results.
    Using Sum() in the object definition itself would easily solved this issue.

Case 2:
The problem will also occur if there are multiple measure objects, with some having aggregate functions used in the definition and some not using aggregate functions in the definition, and these are pulled together in the result pane
Example,
Day-Region-Sales-Discounts
Sunday-R1-100-20
Monday-R1-100-10
Suppose Discounts in defined as Sum(Table1.Discounts) in the Universe while all other definitions remain the same as in Case 1. We require total sales and total discounts by region i.e., R1, 200, 30
If Region, Sales and Discounts are pulled together, the query will be
Select [DISTINCT] Table1.Region,Table1.Sales,Sum(Table1.Discounts) from Table1 Group By Table1.Region,Table1.Sales
Result Set: (irrespective of whether Retrieve Duplicate Rows is checked or not)
R1, 100, 30 - Incorrect Result

This is why it is always advisable to use aggregate functions for measures

Thanks

srividya.s (BOB member since 2006-10-28)

Regarding SQL aggregation and projection, see

and

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)