BusinessObjects Board

Publishing docs

Hi All:

We had a problem yesterday exporting documents to the repository, getting the error “Report already exists in repository, you cannot overwrite it”. Basically, what I think happened is that the original user who exported the documents was a general supervisor, and the new user exporting isn’t. Is this correct?

Also, the new user then deleted the reports from the repository, and re-exported them, causing users who have imported the reports to get the “not authorized to this document error”. How would I correct this error besides having the users re-import their documents?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

kvangor :us: (BOB member since 2003-03-20)

That is probably what happened.

See this and this from Reporter FAQ here on BOB.

By deleting the old reports and re-exporting new versions, the new versions have new internal “document ids” in the repository – so they are different documents.

And the users with old versions are referencing a document ID that no longer exists – and yes, to be safe, BusObj assumes that the documents, which were secured, are not usable – since it can no longer check whether or not the users are authorized to use them. So they have to reimport the new documents.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks Anita!!!

I was having the same problem the other day. I was getting the same error message as well as the following error:

Cannot delete previous document - document not exported. (DX0030)

I had recreated my userid just prior to encountering the errors, which caused the ownership for my documents to default to the original GS. As a result, I concluded there must be some correlation between the two. I was working with Cindy Clayton under another topic (here) in an attempt to resolve the problem. Shortly after our exchanges under the topic, and without making any changes on my end as a result of our exchanges, the problem mysteriously went away. :blue: :crazy_face:

John Phillips :us: (BOB member since 2002-10-01)

What basically happened in our case was a developer was trying to export reports to production, but he got the “Cannot delete previous document - document not exported. (DX0030)” error. Well, there has been alot of turnover at this company so the correct procedure wasn’t passed along. The person who originally exported to prod used the General Supervisor ID, and the new guy exporting was trying to use his own. Instead, he deleted the reports out of the repository, and then exported the updated reports.

So when users who had these reports locally tried to access them, they couldn’t because the report ID no longer exists. They either have to reimport the reports or have the Gen Sup do a ‘Save for all users’ to enable access.

Hi All:

This is a follow-up question to my first post on this subject. What is the best procedure for exporting documents to Production in order to avoid these types of overwrite errors, especially in a company with high turnover?

Would we have a General Supervisor ID set up specifically for exporting documents or is there a setting in Supervisor that allows users to overwrite a document exported by another user?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kevin

How abour creating one specific BO user ID for migrating, for example: MigrationTest_Dev and use this user ID exclusivley for migration purposes? Since this user ID is not “bound” to a person it will not be deleted etc.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

We use this exact approach. An ID (but NOT as a general supervisor) just for loading documents. Another benefit is that it can be user group specific. A general supervisor ID publishes at the top of the user structure, which makes disabling / enabling tedious.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks for all your help!!!

I have one more quick question. In our case, we have a person who’s already exported our reports to Production. Is there a setting in Supervisor that will allow another person to overwrite those documents, that is the MigrationTest_Dev user?