BusinessObjects Board

Prompts Question

Hi,
I’m having issues with prompts.
My users need a single report with all the prompt conditions on Dimension objects but the users should be have the option to skip few prompts while running the report.

Is it possibe to skip few prompts or can i put some default value (equal to null if they don’t insert any value in the prompts ) in the report.

I’m using XIr2 version on solaris.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

kumar23 (BOB member since 2007-05-25)

Optional prompts is one of the features in XI 3.0. However this is not the case in XIR2. You need to put a default value like ‘ALL’ in each prompt.

Refer to these links for more details :-

and

AnthonyJ :philippines: (BOB member since 2006-06-30)

Combined with that, you could use the exytended syntax in XIR2 to ensure that the wildcard(either * or ‘ALL’) gets displayed by default each time the report runs by making use of the ‘Default value’ (In BROWN below) and ‘Persistence’(in BLUE below) portions of the @prompt syntax:

Eg:

@prompt(‘Enter Customer Name:’,‘A’,Customer\Customer Name’,Mono,Free,Persistent,{‘ALL’},User:0)

nithya_raj (BOB member since 2007-02-03)

THanks Anthony and Raj your respnse was very helpful to me.

kumar23 (BOB member since 2007-05-25)

I thought Optional Prompts would be available in XI 3.0 for all Universes, but I have only seen them in relation to OLAP universes.

Am I missing something, or do you have to use the same syntax as XIR2 to get around this common challenge?

snowboarder (BOB member since 2007-04-10)

The extended optional prompt syntax does not parse in Designer :hb: .

Also, when run in Webi it does recognise it as optional but then throws an error, if you leave it blank.

The only way I could get this to work is by setting the prompts up in either the Java panel or Rich Client conditions panel and choosing the option in the prompts properties…

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Optional prompts are only available when built on the query panel. They are not yet fully supported in the universe. There have been reports that folks have managed to get the syntax working, but I would consider that a risky proposition. Business Objects has stated that they want to make optional prompt technology available via the universe but it’s going to be a greater effort than what it took to put them in the query panel.

I know it’s frustrating. We (the general user community) have been asking for optional prompts for a decade, at least.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

The syntax “works” / runs in Webi, however when you choose to leave an optional universe prompt blank Webi throws an error…

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)