BusinessObjects Board

Prompting for ALL or ONE

Hi all,
I am tryin to design this one report in WEBI 6.1.3. THe condition is I have to prompt the user whether they want the report generated for all departments or one specific department, If they want for all department I have to generate for all deparment, if they want it for one specific department then Ihave to prompt them to select that specific deparment. I know I can achieve this using cascading… But I 'm not gettin the simple logic about how to prompt first for all or one?

Any suggestions please?
[Edit - Removed ALL CAPS for topic subject. - Dave]

koushik7777 (BOB member since 2004-07-05)

How about this Designer FAQ?
Why do you require cascading prompts in the first place?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

ok Let me rephrase it. First I want to prompt the user asking whether they want the report for “one specific department or all department”. If the user response is for one specific department then I have to prompt them again asking them to select the specific department… or If the user response is for all deptarment then I have to generate the report for all departments.

Standard prompts are not sequential. You cannot base the process flow (control logic) for a second prompt on the results of the first prompt without using the SDK.

Side note: Please do not se ALL CAPS in your titles. Thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

You probably don’t need two prompts. You can achieve it with one prompt only. You can designate a special character or string for all departments (e.g. * or ALL) otherwise whatever department name is entered you can use that as prompt value. So the prompt name can be “Enter department (* or Department Name)”.

In the prompt definition you can use “decode” (in case of Oracle) or a relative function to differentiate b/w * and a department name.

i_amit123 :india: (BOB member since 2002-10-09)

Amit , can you please be more elaborate…also I’m using WEBI not fullclient.

p.s.: Dave sorry for using all caps on the title. but I didn’t find it’s so offensive.