BusinessObjects Board

prompt order

hi,
i have a cascading problem in BO i m using “organization” and “employee” objects. i m cascading these two objects in prompt in which first user will select a value for “organization” then values for “employee” will be shown to him. but in prompt object “employee” comes above the object “organization”. i need the same functionalty of pormpt but “organization” should be shown above the “employee” .

jitendraiitd2000 (BOB member since 2007-02-08)

Create prompt message as under

“1. Organization”
“2. Employee”

eg: @prompt(‘1. Organization’,‘A’,)
@prompt(‘2. Employee’,‘A’,)

hyder

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

How can we apply cascading prompts in webi R2 ?
i have two objects : Brand and Package
i want to show Brand as a prompts, when user selects it then user can see values of ‘Package’

Any help will be appreciated !

thanks

Kathy_p (BOB member since 2006-10-20)

Numbering the Prompts in ascending order does not work in Cascading Prompts.

Still it shows Parent prompt below the child which is totally useless for end users. :hb:

anair_bo :us: (BOB member since 2006-12-05)

Hi there,

This is how you can create cascading prompts in Webi XIr2:

To create a cascading prompt (or cascading LOV) in the Universe Designer do the following:

1. Import a Universe into the Universe Designer.
  2. Select Tools > Lists of Values > Create cascading Lists of Values.
  3. Select the objects to be used from the right, from the highest level to the lowest. For example select Country > Region > City.
  4. Click ‘Generate LOV’, save the universe, and export it back to the Central Management Server.

To use the cascading LOV in Web Intelligence do the following:

1. Open Web Intelligence and create a document based on this same universe.
  2. To use the cascading LOV, place one of the LOV objects you created into the query filter pane, from the drop down list on the right, select ‘prompt’.
  3. When the report is run, you will be able to select from a cascading LOV, depending on what object you used in the query filter. If you chose ‘Country’ you will be able to select from Countries. If you chose ‘City’, you will be able to drill down from Country to Region to Cities.

Et voilá :mrgreen:

Good luck

Regards, Hans

hans909 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2006-05-09)

Hi Hans,

Say, I have 5 prompts Country, State, City, area code and ZIP-code for which I need cascading LOV.

Here is what I did.

I created a custom hierarchy with Country, State, City, area code and ZIP-code at universe level. Then created a cascading list of values. Exported the universe. At report level I am facing 3 issues.

1. Cascading LOV is working for char type data (Country, State and City) but it seems it is not working for Numeric type data (area code and ZIP-code).
  2. I can see these LOV in all other reports, which I do not want(optional).
  3. I used @prompt function to add “ALL” to the list of Values. Users can select ALL to get all the values instead selecting individual values. It is not working now.

Any kind suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Vicky

its_vicky07 :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-02)

Hi Vicky,

You say you created a hierarchy, but I do not think you need one for a cascading LOV. I only use hierarchies for drilling purposes. I think just creating a cascading LOV in the universe would be enough. Should not cause any problems either, but you never know.

Although I never ran into issues 1 and 3, here are some suggestions:

1. You could try converting the two numeric datatypes to character ones by using a convert function within the object. Then sorting them might be a bit of a problem, but you could try it just to see if the problem is indeed being caused by the different data types.

2. I solved this by creating duplicate objects in the universe, used these in this particular LOV and nowhere else.

3. Sorry but I am not sure how the select ALL works with cascading lov’s. Have found some posts regaring the ALL option though:
    FAQ: Designer (first two issues)
    Can we add All/NA to the list of Values

Regards, Hans

hans909 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2006-05-09)

It is working now Hens,

Thank you for your help. But I could not able to resolve point # 3. I read the conversation 91602. I did the same thing. I created @ prompt functions at universe level to create pre defined conditions and used those conditions as prompts at report level. “ALL” was working. Also I have a union joint by which I added “ALL” to the LOV. It was working too. If I select “ALL” from the list of values or type ALL, then the query selects all the individual values. But after creating cascading LOV it is not working. I can guess. We may not able to see “ALL” in the LOV as “ALL” is not a value in the database. But I have @ prompt functions at the universe. Hence if I type ALL, it should select all the values. But it is not working for me as well. I need to have both cascading LOVs and ALL function as my users want both together.

I am facing one more problem. I can see the cascading LOVs when I open the WEBi document in edit/modify mode. But when I open it in view mode I could not able to see the cascading LOVs.

Appreciate any help from any one.

I use BO XI R2 and DB2 Ver8.

Thanks in advance.
Vicky

Hi,

May I request some one to help me resolving the above said problem(Point # 3)?

Thanks
Vicky

In your recent post you said you added “All” to the LOV. Then you said you created cascading LOV queries. The second process probably dropped the “ALL” logic from your original LOV queries. Please go back and check to see if that is the case, and if so, add it back in.

Getting ALL to properly cascade is tricky; you have to create a union query for each possible combination of the hierarchy. I created a cascading LOV with ALL for State, County, and City, and the City query had four queries unioned together.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response. I checked. I have my preconditions with the @ prompt. In query panel, I edited the SQL and can see my @prompt functions. So I am sure it is there. I understand why I can not see “ALL” in the list of values. But when I select ALL for a prompt ideally saying it should work. But it is not working, meaning when I select ALL and hit it should show me all the values. I created cascading LOV for 5 objects. I have the same @prompt logic. But I am getting the values for the highest object. Say I have 5 prompts Country, State, City, area code and ZIP-code for which I am using cascading LOV and @ prompt(in pre-condition where clause) . When I select only country in “result objects panel” and drag country pre-condition to “query filters panel” it works. But when I do the same thing for state only it does not work. Then I selected both country+state in result objects panel and dragged both the pre-conditions to the query filters panel. I tried various combinations. But it did not work. I know I am doing a silly mistake some where. But I could not able to figure out. (“ALL” used to work before creating cascading LOV).

Second thing is when I open this WEBi document in view mode I can not even see the cascading LOVs. Please let me know if I am confusing you.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Vicky