BusinessObjects Board

@Prompt in Loop Format

Dear All,
As you know that we can create Cascading prompt in XI R2 and above. In order to create cascading prompt we need to define number of level hierarches / LOVs in universe level. Example: Country => State => City
If we define City prompt in query filter then we will get Counrty, State and City prompt and we will get City name as final value. This is fine…
Here are my concerns:

• What happend if some user are interested to view Street Name?
    Since we had defined number of level until City Name you will not get Street Name. So to resolved this issue, we need to define Cascading LOVs like this way: Country > State >City > Street Name and add Street Name is query filter. If user want to see City Name only on above cascading prompt they can not select City Name becasue our propmt is defined until Street Name so user has to select until Street Name which is unnecessary extra step for users.

• Again if some user wants to view below than Street Name… again we need to define Cacading list of values on that level…etc…

• What happend if user does not want to see State and City Name?
    No They can not. They have to enter all level of values which define in cascading prompt.

It is something like keep defining the cascading prompt. Also the way Cacading prompt appears in report level ( user has to enter all values from Below to TOP) which user does not like. It is not normal way…

What I am thinking,

• is there any way we can create LOOP @prompt? I meant, Keep prompting those value until it shows LAST LOV in one objcet/ Prompt. No need to define Cacading in universe level.
  • Or is there any way even though we had defined level of Cacading prompt, but user can select only one value? No need to enter all values.
    in above example, I am not interested in State/City/Street, I am interested in Country only, so I have choice to select Country only…( For current structure, we can not select Country only. We need to define all values until Street Name)
    I am just throwing my idea here… any suggestions??

Philip (BOB member since 2006-03-02)

The cascading prompts are designed in such a way that you have to traverse through all levels to arrive at the desired level.
I dont think you can override any or all of them to go directly to a particular level.

But you can try using the ‘All’ keyword to not enter value(s) and just keep on passing it wherever the level is not required.
Check the syntax for ALL, if that helps

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Thanks Haider. I am not sure once we customized SQL (adding ‘ALL’ or ‘*’) and define Cascading prompt, does cascading prompt will work? I have not done it before.

Philip (BOB member since 2006-03-02)

You really should not have a problem doing what you are asking. If you create a condition object for the City, then the user will use that condition object and stop the selection process at the city. If you create a second condition object for street, and reference the city object with a prompt in the condition (which is what the cascading process does) then you can pick the street name.

The cascading LOV creation process does not enforce a link from State to County to City and then all the way down to Street. In fact, all it does is create a prompt for one level up. City references County, and County references State. If you wanted to, you could make a condition for all four levels (State, County, City, and Street). You should would not want to use more than one at a time, as you would get redundant prompts.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi ,

I am also having the same kind of issue like this.

Just i want to know is it possible to have the ALL in LOV in cascading prompts if it will be possible please some one explain me howe to do in designer.

satdpi (BOB member since 2008-07-24)

You can use the ‘All’ keyword functionality for a cascading prompt too just like any other prompt
Just add the same syntax in the predefined condition for a country object which has cascading prompt for continent with ‘All’ keyword

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

I showed a sample of this in a presentation from one of the national conferences. It is much too complex to explain in a post. :slight_smile:

You can download it here:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)