Promotion from 4.1 SP01 to 4.2 SP03

Hi Gurus,

I know that you can move objects from one environment to another using the Promotion Management tool built-in to the CMC. However, since we will be building a new machine with a later version of BI Platform and promoting our reports from the old one into it, can we do it directly or are there any other steps that we need to take into account when promoting said objects?

hueysantiago (BOB member since 2015-08-03)

Hi,

You can promote it directly. Just use the promotion manager in the destination, i.e. in the 4.2 version.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Thanks! I have consulted with my colleagues yesterday and they said the same thing.

Hi Marek,

I’ve been trying to create a promotion job that will take 8 folders, the connections, users, and groups and put them into an LCMBIAR file. After adding all the objects, I can’t seem to save the job, and clicking on Manage Dependencies only seem to create a new white window. What could be causing this and what could be the solution?

Hi,

Try allocating more RAM to the APS where Promotion Management Service is hosted.

And, split promotion of users and groups from the promotion of folders and connections.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Thanks Marek. I assume Connections will automatically be included if I add all folders first then manage dependencies? I will try splitting the promotion job as you suggested.

Another option would be to use the LCMCLI.bat command line tool instead of trying to build the job in the Promotion Management GUI.

The information for how to do this is in the Admin Guide. Basically, you create a parameter file that will control what gets migrated. The general rule of thumb that we use when doing this for our clients is to split things up as follows:

1. Custom Access Levels, Users, User Group, Personal Folders (without contents), Personal Categories (without contents), Inboxes (without contents), Public Folders (without contents).

2. Universes and connections. Profiles (if used). Universe security objects (if security is built into any .unx universes.)

3. QaaWS objects (if used).

4. Reports and instances from public folders and public categories (if used). Include security. Break this up in to smaller batches based on parent folder if there are more than 1000 objects.

5. Users (again), including dependencies which will get you the contents of their favorites, categories, and inboxes. Because public folder contents have been migrated, any shortcuts that are in the favorites should migrate correctly.

For all of these except #5, include security but do not include dependencies.

This will take some time for the initial load, but it works pretty well.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Using
“SELECT TOP 100000 static, relationships, SI_PARENT_FOLDER_CUID, SI_OWNER, SI_PATH FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS,CI_APPOBJECTS,CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS WHERE DESCENDENTS(“SI_NAME=‘Folder Hierarchy’”, “SI_ID in (23)”)”

exporting all public folders. This is too big for the amount of space available in ur C:\ drive.

Is there a way to identify the root folder and pick certain sub folders under that as a first LCMBIAR file and create a second LCMBIAR file for rest of the folders and its content?

Any suggestions around this?

boe_bods :india: (BOB member since 2008-03-14)

Sure, just change the 23 in that query to the ID of the folder (or folders) you want to export.

If you’re on BI4.2 SP05 or newer, you can use the new Promotion Management Wizard; a free-standing application that automates the command-line interface.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)