BusinessObjects Board

Problems with Prompts

I have a report that has a prompt for “Prodcut”. I have it defined as “in list” and “prompt list of values”. I want the user to be able to select from the values list any number of products. Is there a way to have an “all” option that would select all of them rather then the user having to select all the products individually?

Also, is there any limitation as to the number of such prompts the report can have? I have added 6 of them and when I select all of the values from each of the six prompts Webi seems to choke and does not do anything. If I just select a few from each it all seems to work fine.

Thanks!

d1cjm1 (BOB member since 2003-02-24)

Take a look at the Designer FAQ, or search for “prompt all values default” and you’ll see any number of topics discussing this.

Here are a couple of links to topics to get you started:

That’s not a webi issue, it’s a database issue. By selecting all values from 6 different prompts you’re giving your database quite a chuck of data to process. 8)

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Be warned, though, that if you use the standard way of implementing this (…or ‘all’ in …) that you will bypass any indexes on that field in the DB if the users select ‘all.’ This might affect performance.

I would advise thorough testing.

Judy

JMulders :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

One of the customer support engineers here received this solution from Business Objects.

PART_NOLOCK_V.customer_pn_S IN
(CASE WHEN
@Prompt(‘Customer PN: (or type all to see all)’, ‘A’, ‘Plexus Part UDAs\Customer PN - Assembly Number’, multi, free) = ‘ALL’
THEN PART_NOLOCK_V.customer_pn_S

ELSE @Prompt(‘Customer PN: (or type all to see all)’, ‘A’, ‘Plexus Part UDAs\Customer PN - Assembly Number’, multi, free)
END)

This approach preserves the use of the indexes.

• Judy

JMulders :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

That’s a great one!

Any confirmation from our resident Oracle guru’s would be appreciated.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)