BusinessObjects Board

Problem with links between two data providers in a report

I have a report which contains two data providers that both use the same universe. To get the correct results in the report, 4 of the objects in each data provider are linked together. No problems there.

However, when the report is refreshed, the links between the two data providers seem to be automatically changed. Business Objects decides to link together common objects between the two providers (a number of objects are used in both providers) and the previous links created are lost. :confused:

Obviously when this happens, the report gives the incorrect answers until the links between the providers are manually corrected. The report has to be refreshed each month and every time it is, the links will change as described above. :frowning:

Can anyone help explain what is happening and if there is a way to prevent it? I’d like to keep the links that I have set up between the two providers each time I refresh the report.

Mark Newman (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

I am not 100% sure, but I remember that the ‘Editable’ option in Data -> View Data -> Data Manager -> Definition Tab should be disabled to suppress the automatic linking of objects.

Wolfgang (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

I’ve had a quick look at the editable option but it is ‘greyed’ out in this particular report.

This happens when you are not the owner of the document. Either have the owner save the document with the option ‘For all Users’ or open it with a General Supervisor account…

Wolfgang (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

I have opened the report using the general supervisor account but the option is still ‘greyed’ out.

Not even the General Supervisor can change the editable flag. :slight_smile: Only the “owner” of the report can do that. But the good news is that you can take “ownership” by simply doing a “Save As…” operation. At that point, you become the new owner.

I don’t think that you need to use the “save for all users” option either. A simple “Save As…” will be enough.

I’m not convinced that this will solve your problem, but it will allow you to at least try the suggested solution. Be sure to post back and let us know if changing that flag does stop the unlinking / relinking that BusObj is doing for you.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Usually I get that problem if you open the query panel. If the query panel is not opened and you just press the refresh button then BO should not auto link same named objects in your queries.

Chris Wilson-Marquis (BOB member since 2002-06-07)

Eureka!

There is a date range condition on one of the data providers. Each time the report was refreshed, the date range would be changed by using the query panel to manually change the start and end date.

I’ve just tried this myself, and each time a change is applied within the query panel, Business Objects auto links the two providers together, over-writing the links that were previously there.

Time to change the report to include a prompt me thinks!

Thanks Chris.

Just a quick follow-up to my last post.

After some more testing, it seems that the actual action of clicking on the “save and close” button in the query panel will trigger the auto linking of data providers. One of the reports in use at my site does not require changes to the query itself, but the user was using the query panel and the “save and close” button to purge the data from the report.

Hope this might help someone else in the future!

Yes! You’re absolutely right! We’ve put that on our Wish List of things we’d like to see in the “next major release”. Seems like EVERYTHING is in the “next major release” :rotf:

You may want to check out Dave’s rant on how details can help eliminate the need for manually linking data providers :yesnod:

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)