BusinessObjects Board

Problem while saving the report.

We had the same problem. The solution is to trap the “beforesave” event and use the following code.

in the “ThisDocument”

Dim X As New EventClassModule
Sub Document_Open()
Set X.App = Application
End Sub

in a module

Public Declare Function SetCurDir Lib “kernel32” _
Alias “SetCurrentDirectoryA” _
(ByVal lpPathName As String) As Long

in a class module

Public WithEvents App As Application

Private Sub App_DocumentBeforeSave(ByVal Doc As IDocument, Cancel As Boolean)
Dim lRetSetCurDir As Long
lRetSetCurDir = SetCurDir(“C:”)
’ MsgBox (“OK”)
End Sub

This should works for all document. The problem is that the file dialog change the “current directory”. BO uses it to save a temporary file. Sometimes, the user doesn’t have write privilege on the directory. BO crashs in that case. The code simply change back the current directory.

Until BO fix this issue, we use this workaround…

Enjoy !

If you need further explanations, post back !

GuillaumeA :canada: (BOB member since 2006-11-15)

We have the same problem too.

Do you know is this problem is registered in the BO TechSupport? Could you please tell me it`s registration number?

Thank you.

Alexander (BOB member since 2006-11-28)

Yes, we have a case open at BO Tech Support.

case # is : 302741437

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately my research on the BO web-site (http://www.businessobjects.com/support/) agains this number (302741437) gave no results.
Could you please tell me how can I find information on this problem on the BO web-site?

Best regards

Does it have it`s own ADAPT number?

Unfortunately, BO didn’t make an “official” statement regarding this issue yet. There’s not even an adapt in the work. The engineer is still investigating the issue.

There’s no solution provided by BO yet.

Please, check the thread I started on this issue

I have a couple questions regarding the workaround solution for the Deski “Save as” aborting/crashing problem.

Question 1: In order to solve the “Save as” Abort problem on all users BO Session, does the below module have to be saved within EACH AND EVERY BO REPORT within the Repository??

If so, then, while this IS a workaround, this is also NOT a very practical workaround. As we have over 1500 Reports that are retrieved & used throughout our enterprise.

Question 2: WITHOUT having to manually open each and every Report (in the BOXI Repository) to load/save this module, is there instead a way to have this module “automatically” load & run for/in each newly opened Deski session?

Thanks!

Captspeed :us: (BOB member since 2006-10-03)

No, you don’t have to add this script in each and single report … That would really be a pain in the …

The solution isn’t very elegant anyway though …

1. Put the REA file into a shared directory where every user has at least read access.

2. Add a registry key on every workstation :

HKCU\Software\Business Objects\Suite 11.5\default\BusinessObjects\%USER_NAME% User Prefs\busobj\Options\AddIn\Eventbeforesave
  1. Add three values under this registry key:
    3.1 Name: Description ; Type: REG_SZ ; no Value
    3.2 Name: FileName ; Type: REG_SZ ; Value: %PATH_TO_REA_FILE%
    3.3 Name: Installed ; Type: REG_DWORD ; Value: 1

Note 1: HKCU = user(s) who uses BO …
Note 2: You can get the packaged macro here :https://bobj-board.org/t/74056

GuillaumeA,
Thanks for the reply & that great tip.

I have another question regarding the details of the cause for the abort.

It was stated that the problem is due to the “Current Directory” being changed to the “Destination Directory”. Then deski tries to write a quick temp file to the Root of the “Current Directory”.

This explanation of the cause is not real clear to me.

1. Does “Current Directory” mean the “Users default Report location” (ie. where a Users Deski reports are automatically saved) OR does it mean Deski’s default Temp File location (ie. within the CMC, click Servers / Desktop Intelligence Report Server, then look at the path defined within the “Location of Temp Files”).

2. When the cause description says “BOXI tries to write a temp file on the [b]Root of the current directory”[/b], what exact “Root” & path is referenced (which I guess is the “Root & Path” culprit thats ultimately causing the whole problem of the abort)?
    The definition of “Root” is not clear here.

Does “Root” mean:
A. The “Highest level” of the “Destination” Path selected by the User?
OR
B. The “Current level” of the “Destination” Path selected by the User?
OR
C. The “Highest level” of the “Current Working Directory” Path?
OR
D. The “Current level” of the “Current Working Directory” Path?

I’m basically trying to determine the exact Server/Path/Location that is causing the Abort.

Thanks!!

answers in red …

So if your user have write privilege on the root directory (\remoteSRV\share1) you won’t have the problem as described in my post.

[quote=“Captspeed”]answers in blue…

1. Deski has basically an internal “2nd” working file/directory path defined within itself, and it uses this location to write a quick “cache type” temp file (which I guess is later erased when the Report is successfully saved?).
    Yes, can’t guess why though …

2. This 2nd working file/directory path is unknown to us (“us” being BOXI administrators, developers & programmers)??
    No, this directory is known. It is the root of the destination directory

3. It is this internal 2nd working file/directory path that is causing the error?
    In my case, yes because users don’t have write privilege on the root of the network share

I just found another possible workaround option for the abort problem.
When doing a “Save as”, once the dialog window pops up click on the “Options” button.
Once the “Options” window pops up, there’s a section toward the bottom of the window called “Options for current document”. Within this section there is a text box there called “Write Reservation Password:”.
Does anyone know the purpose of this text box OR has anyone tried using it? I’m thinking that maybe this textbox could be used to bypass the problem of a user being aborted due to him/her NOT having “Write” Rights to the Destination Root.

Has anyone tried or tested this yet (regarding the abort problem)??

Guillaume,
When I try to add this .rea in a report that I want to do a “Save As”, it gives me an error saying - " This file is corrupted and cannot be opened (FRM0003). I am using this in a BO 6.5 environment. Any suggestions?

ashish_bo (BOB member since 2006-06-21)

I just recieved an official reply about this problem from BO Support. This is what they said:

"I know this issue has occurred before. You theory of the temp file is correct as well. This does happen with Save As only with larger documents as you have noted. There is already a bug logged for this issue. It is scheduled to be fixed right now in Service Pack 3, due out around the end of September this year (this is tentative of course). "

Looks like the forthcoming SP3 has some pretty substantial fixes & updates in it.
Here’s to waiting for September…

Well I am facing the same problem as well and I have noticed that this problem occurs only with the query based reports. Moreover, it happens only when I change the connection settings. BTW I am using ODBC connection to connect to Progress databases. It occurs only with few reports whereas other reports having the same connection are working fine :oops:

umasha79 :pakistan: (BOB member since 2005-12-14)

Umasha79,
What CHF Level is your BOXI at right now? Did you just recently install CHF 15 or 16?

IMO, I’m starting to think that the cause of this issue is due to a bug in CHF 16 (and maybe 15 as well).

The Capt.

Hi

I get the same exception problem when i try to save larger reports. I have even tried SP2 and i get the same.

One major clue is that i only get the problem when signed on as a general windows users. If i sign on as an Administrator and try the same report all is ok. People with Local Admin rights on the own pc are also unaffected. :crazy_face:

The question is then, what right can be denied standard users which Local Admin users are granted, which is causing Desktop intelligence to have a problem saving some reports? the reports don’t have to be that big, and the error is completely repeatable by creating exactly the same reports on the same universes.

Cheers,
Richard

:hb:

rmabbitt (BOB member since 2007-02-16)

I have BO XI Release 2 with service pack 1. Can you tell how to find the CHF level as I am new into the administration side…

umasha79 :pakistan: (BOB member since 2005-12-14)

OK problem solved (for us atleast)

It was a Windows rights problem - with some (eg large) report sets BOXI writes temporarily to the root of the destination directory whilst saving - standard windows users do not have write privilege to C here.

It’s a bit poor of BOXI to need this - does anyone know if it can be changed to use somewhere other than the root of the directory? Maybe a registry key?

As for the CHF level umasha i’m afraid i really don’t know.

Cheers,
Richard

rmabbitt (BOB member since 2007-02-16)