BusinessObjects Board

Predefined Conditions and Prompts

Hi,

I would need to create two pre-defined conditions in Universe and use it as a prompt in my report.

I need to create conditions for the objects “Date” and “Product sold”.
On a date there would be different products sold.

In the report I would use these two pre-defined conditions as the prompt.

Say I have the two prompts
1.) “Select Cob Date:”
2.) “Select products sold:”

Currently, when I select date in date prompt and slect the lov in Products it is listing all the products available.

What I want is, once I select the date in the date prompt and click on the lov for product, it should list only the products that match the date selected.

This is the code of the pre-defined condition, in “Where”.

@Select(Dates\COB Date) = @PROMPT(‘Select Cob Date:’,‘D’,‘Dates\COB Date’,)
@Select(Products\PdtSold) = @PROMPT(‘Select products sold:’,‘D’,‘Products\PdtSold’,)

We want to select single product only and not multiple.

Thanks

BO_Lad (BOB member since 2004-08-16)

FAQ entry on Cascading Prompts is a good place to start.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave.

Thanks!
I had come across this earlier, but my problem is not solved using that method.

In the cascading prompts option, say I

Edit the List of Values for the ‘PdtSold’ object.

• Check the Automatic Refresh Before Use option.
  • Click Edit.
  • Bring ‘Cob Date’ into the Conditions and set it to: in list Prompt(‘Select a COB Date:’)
  • Click Save and Close
  • Click Apply and edit the next LOV object.

Now when I use the pre defined condition for ‘Cob Date’ and ‘PdtSold’ in the report, what happens is,

The first prompt is to select the cob date.
Next when I click I select on the second promt which says Select products sold, it will again ask to select a cob date and based in that you will have run-id.

I dont want the loop within a single propmt, I want two different prompts but the values to be linked with each other.

Again the reason I want as two different prompt is we have a standard batch script running all these reports (instead of BCA) and we two inputs we give for all the report, ie Cob date and PdtSold. Based on the input report is refreshed and posted at various server locations.

The closest solution I had reached is, :
I create two predefined conditions in Universe,

1.) @Select(Dates\COB Date) = @PROMPT(‘Select Cob Date:’,‘D’,‘Dates\COB Date’,)

2.) @Select(Products\PdtSold) IN (SELECT PdtSold FROM PRODUCT_CARD WHERE COB_DATE= @PROMPT(‘Select Cob Date:’,‘D’,‘Dates\COB Date’,))

When I use these two in the report, there is a prompt for cob date and based on that cob date, the pdts gets selected internally. I am looking for a way where the values are displayed on the screen so that we could select.

Thanks

Welcome to the club. :slight_smile: Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. Your initial selection has to determine your final list. It doesn’t work in all cases, as in your case you want to have the date be a part of the condition and not just the parts. There is, unfortunately, no work-around that I know of that will let you escape having to enter the date twice in this case.

Prompts are simply not related to each other. The FAQ entry shows a workaround that fits hierarchical data only.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks Very much Dave.

Well atleast I now know that I have hit the end of road.
I should look for other alternatives now, after my long search along BO :crazy_face:

Thanks!

Options:

A) Use Crystal, it just does cascading prompts so much better.
B) Code your own SDkK solution to modify prompt behavior (via Infoview)
C) File an enhancement request or see what the next major release code-named TITAN will bring.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)