BusinessObjects Board

Pointing to new universe in the report

How do i point the new universe from my report which is using old universe. I have lot of quries,so i don’t want to change it query by query in the View Data."

john999 (BOB member since 2004-03-22)

You’ve already found out how to change the universe… Now do you want to do it for one report or many reports??? If you don’t wanna change it manually then you need to knock the doors of SDK…

Sridharan :india: (BOB member since 2002-11-08)

You may not WANT to do this, but you wil have to.

There are some other options, but they require that you delete universes and rename others… Not worth the effort.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

HI Kolli,

You can change the universe in the following way.

Go to
Data->View Data Data Manager will Open.
The Click on ‘Definition’ and in the ‘Universe’ browse the universes to select the required one.

Hope it will solve your problem.

Ravi yarlagadda

ravik (BOB member since 2004-06-02)

Knock and the door shall be answered… from BOB’s Downloads you can see Change Source Universe for Multiple Documents

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

OK, let me see if I can rephrase my issue…I have multiple queries running off of one universe in a report. I would like to duplicate the report (create a new tab) and change the underlying universe on this second report/tab. Can this be done without affecting the original report?

gmonny (BOB member since 2004-06-24)

No. This cannot be done. You need to have a duplicate data provider that points to a different universe.

V6 has the ability to create a duplicate dataprovider. You can then change the universe that this “new” DP uses.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

There is a “copy data provider” utility available in BOB’s Download section for Business Objects v5. Would that help?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I am using V6…What I have tried to do is duplicate a report into a new tab, and then from the Data Manager, tried to change the universe. However, when I change the universe in the 2nd tab of the report, it affects the 1st tab. I want to keep the 1st tab running off of the 1st universe, and change the 2nd tab’s universe. If this is possible in V6, then maybe you can elaborate the steps required to do this?

G.

gmonny (BOB member since 2004-06-24)

Duplicating the report tab alone is not sufficient (a report tab is just a projection of the microcube(s) of one or more data providers). You must copy the data provider/query itself.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

The problem, you see – is when you go to Data Manager, there is only one Data Provider – which means there is only one query.

You need two queries – the first one pointing to (and refreshed from) the original universe. You need to add a second query / data provider. And you are in luck that you are on version 6, since you can duplicate your old Data Provider, and then modify the NEW Data Provider to point to the second universe. In version 5.x, you’d have to build a new (second) query / Data Provider from scratch!

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)