BusinessObjects Board

pointing documents to another universe - automation?

Thanks for the answers, but:

for hundred of documents manually pointing every one to the new universe… what a pain.
Does anyone know about a tool to automate this?

Thanks,
Andreas

Listserv Archives (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

In Supervisor you can change which database the universe points too… would that help??

I know your pain – I had about 40 reports with about 10 queries each that we were changing back and forth from DEV to TEST to PROD and all sorts of insanity. I never did figure out a way to automate the process (I’m not a VBA expert) but I did develop a little code to tell me which universe the queries were pointing to and if they all matched. That might be helpful… sorry, I don’t have the code b/c I was with a different company.

One other random note: while we were changing things around, we got a really bizarre error: the measures in the queries were being duplicated in the SQL everytime we changed the universe. This only happen with a handful of reports, and my guess is it was because someone had tried to change the universe while offline. We never did quite figure out the problem. But the solution was to rebuild the report – not fun!

Good luck,
Jenn

for hundred of documents manually pointing every one to the new universe… what a pain.

Thanks,
Andreas

Hi,
I don’t think there is any tool such, but you can automate the process using VBA, there is a “ChangeUniverse” method which is a part of dataprovider class, so what you can do is write a macro to iterate through your documents and through each dataprovider of the document and change the universe of these.

Hope this Helps…

Thanks
Amit Agarwal
Saama Technologies
408-371-1900

Thanks,
Andreas

_________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

Hi, Andreas.

My colleague, Jean-Francois Cayron, developed an add-in to do exactly what you need.

Here it is:

did anyone get the add-in for this.
this would be useful.

bengrant :uk: (BOB member since 2003-01-21)

That thread is a bit dated, so if you don’t get a response regarding the add-in, I can probably help with some VBA code.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

This is covered in the code samples topic… right here

Good luck! :slight_smile:

JennFisher :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Darn it … I checked the SDK forum, but forgot to check code samples … thanks!

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

What would I have to modify in the code to get this functional in my environment? I added my path for the Universes.

I get the message:

Modified 0 data providers in 0 documents?

mitymousse :us: (BOB member since 2002-11-07)