BusinessObjects Board

Please someone say this is not true

Hi BO Gurus,

Iam hearing a lot about the extinction of Business Objects in near future.

I hear that BO wont be having good market in near future because it has become a costlier tool and iam been suggested to start learning other DWH tools.

Is this true? … :?: …say…:nonod:

I was planning to start my preparation for BO Certification and i started gathering information regarding this. In this process i have come across this news, saying that its costlier in the market and SAP is trying to make its SAP BW better.

I need help, kindly some one give me a clear picture of whats all these about.

Thanks in advance.

Achilies :india: (BOB member since 2008-12-04)

I would say dont get carried away by such talk and focus on what you have planned to do

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

a) The Business Objects product isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
b) It’s not a DWH tool.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

Read the SAP product roadmap, and all becomes clear BO > SAP BW!

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Hi

I have been seeing couple of posting in the last few week talking about a kind of gossip.The same kind of question has asked in Regarding the certification

Business objects never going to die and hopfully the market scope will get extended.

Regards
Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Ask yourself this :

What evidence is there that ‘Business Objects is dying’?

If there is no evidence then I would take about as much notice as I do of those people saying the world is going to end next week.

Thanq gurus,

Your posts really zipped my lips from speaking or asking any more about the BO Scope in the market. :+1:

Now no looking back, iam planning ahead to finish my certifications.

Your posts made me feel … :stupid:

Many Thanks and Regards

this is not true :rotf:
I ran into a similar argument yesterday with a Cognose Consultant. His point was ‘Cognose is better than BO, because it’s more user friendly’. I hate people who like a product because they know it well. I am a certified SQL Sever Consultant, but was never a fan of it.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

It would then made no sense for SAP to buy BO for billions of $. Would have been too costly if they (SAP) wanted to get rid of just one competitor with this move :lol:

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

True. Since they are unaware of the depth of other products, they always eulogize the product they specialize in

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

this is not true :smiley: :smiley: .

As no other forum is like B :mrgreen: B, so I don’t want to go for some other tool. (Just joking)

People even previously thought of that Cobol is going to out, but still it’s heavily demanded language in market as it comes under mainframes.

So you don’t have worry, and even if this dies, you will learn some other tool with time. :slight_smile:

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

But then, isnt that what we are doing here too? We stick with what we know, plain and simple.

Personally, I like BO… even if it does have more mysteries than the X-files. :mrgreen:

-J

Jkamradt :us: (BOB member since 2008-10-20)

Hmm no, I’ll learn any product I can get my hands on. I know the strengths and weaknesses of BO. I’ve had a look at a variety of other products and while I know that many of BO’s failings are addressed in some of the competition, I’m also quite sure that they have their share of hidden faults that BO handles much better.

No! BO IS THE BESTEST TOOL EVER!:!:

Just kidding. :lol: I agree with you Cashworth, in principal and in deed. But would you agree the majority of the time, say… better than 60% of the time, people will stick with what they know, and laude the virtue of the programs they are most familiar with?

There are exceptions to every rule, and this is no different, as like you, I am sure there are plenty of people who have an incredible hunger for learning all the programs they can get their hands on. But as a general theme, I think people try to sell what they know best, regardless of whether they know they are doing it or not. I am not calling this a fault of anyone, it is just part of the Human Condition.

I am by no means attacking Haider, or anyone else on this thread, I was simply trying to point out that most people will “always eulogize the product they specialize in” not as a fault, but as a law of human behavior. I apologize if I have upset anyone.

-J

Jkamradt :us: (BOB member since 2008-10-20)

Oh I understand what you are saying :slight_smile:

If anyone asks me whether to go Cognos or BO, for example, I would say how well-suited I think BO is to the environment, but caveat that by saying that Cognos may well be better but I do not know that product so couldn’t comment.

Guess it’s why I’m not in sales :slight_smile:

I don’t think eiher of those two points are guaranteed.

I’m sure SAP is extending the market of BO products into many of their existing SAP accounts. It’s much less sure that BO will continue to expand their total market share of BI among users of other enterprise software, such as Oracle.

In that sense, Microstrategy, and to a lesser extent, IBM/Cognos, do have an opportunity here to pursue small and midmarket companies who aren’t yet paired up with a major ERP vendor like SAP or Oracle.

dnewton :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-30)

Cashworth, can you please this with us… :slight_smile:

Just saying, on the face of it…Business Objects is excellent, but only when you really get stuck in to using it in a real environment do you come across it’s shortcoming.

The biggest fault is the break in the security model once you go below universe or report level. Managing security below there is horrible, and that is one of the things that MicroStrategy does much better, end-to-end security.

BO client is still the best query and analysis tool for relational/dimensional data source that I have come across though, I wasn’t blown away by anything MicroStrategy offered.

Your explanation is mind blowing. The way you explain is the best, I highly appreciate you. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank you guru’s for sharing your valuable thoughts and feedbacks…it helped me in understanding BO better