BusinessObjects Board

Performance issues

Hello Experts,

When you hear the term “perfromance issues”…what are the things that come to mind ?

Some I can quickly think of are

1. Query performance, is the query tunned properly ? Is it running fine if you try it at the DB level directly without application layer.
  2. Application/Database server hardware configuration/capacity.
  3. Application parameter settings.
  4. Database parameter settings (#1 is specific to the query and #4 to the entire DB in general)

Are these the points that you agree come to mind when you here of performance ?

Anything incorrect in the above or anything further that anyone would like to add ?

Thanks in advance for your expert openion !!

Best Regards,

redsky01 (BOB member since 2009-06-19)

I would plagiarise Dave’s Blog by mentioning universe design, specifically measures and recommend you look at http://www.dagira.com/2009/07/06/sql-aggregate-versus-universe-projection/

coreya :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2008-12-16)

Performance is a massive subject if your looking at the whole BOXI system as a whole, back in the day I wrote a white paper on Crystal Report peformance, that alone was about 12 pages…

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Start looking here if you please.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

This was written in 2004? Not a lot of it applies anymore apart from some of the reporting bits…

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

I think most of it still applies actually, be it running statistics on your DBMS, using aggregate tables, using JOIN_BY SQL universe parameter, adressing your BOE server infrastructure, etc.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thank you all, I will start looking into the various locations suggested and come back with questions if any !

Appreciate your help !

redsky01 (BOB member since 2009-06-19)