BusinessObjects Board

Performance issue while running a report

Hello,

I am trying to run a report in webi XI r3 but its taking too long to retrieve the data. How can i improve the performance of the report?

FYI: Table has 215 million rows. We did indexes on few columns i.e columns which are used for prompts.If i run a for particular department it taking 4 to 5 min to retrieve the data.

Moreover at the same time 5 to 6 users are running the same report at same time. Is that causing the problem. How can i solve this issue?

Thanks in advance
Santhoshini

santhoshini (BOB member since 2007-11-08)

Please look for vertical scaling or cluster of servers to improve the performance of report engine. try defining filters at designer level and not report level.

project_2008 :india: (BOB member since 2008-09-26)

Try running it in a SQL query editor and compare the time, make sure the query is not cached by the database, use the Designer user name and log in.
Sometimes indexes do more harm than good, has your DBA actually executed an explain plan to optimise the full query?

Could well be, as records could be locked by the running query. Can you not schedule the report(s)?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Start with: Why is my report so slow?

200 mio. rows, but the question is how many rows are being displayed in your Webi document finally?
Can you create summary tables in the database? Are your indexes really used by the database optimizer engine? Can you partition your database tables? Is the database file holding your database table fragmented or are you suffering from chained rows, etc?

I doubt this will help, as I am assuming the bottleneck is the DBMS (and not BOE)

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)