BusinessObjects Board

Performance : 500k rows in 7 min.

Hi,

I have a performance issue with the client not accepting an ad-hoc complex report which fetches 500000 rows in about 7 min(max).

They are looking at somewhere around 4 min.

I wanted to know if this is a bad performance at all. What are the usual metrics on which performance of a report is analyzed as Good or Bad?

Regards,
Nachiketa

nachiketa :india: (BOB member since 2007-02-07)

500000 rows in 7 minutes? Is this bad to your client? :blue:

It also depends on the complexity of your report. Still, if you feel it is bad, check this FAQ.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Hi,
Please give inputs for the following
1.Do you have prompts?, if so does it take longer time to prompt for input? also are the datas for that particular prompt large?
2.What DB are you using?

Goutham (BOB member since 2008-08-20)

Hi,
Did you speak with the DBA to see if there is any scope of finetuning it?

You also think of building the summary table which will prevent the large block of data summerized to a relatively small data set.

It will be better if you speak with the DBA first.

Omkar Paranjpe :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

I think this is not bad for the limit you defined.
But could you please confirm how much time it takes if you run the same query in SQL ?

Suppose if it takes less time at the database level, you can go for creating VIEW for this query and then you can try to run it in WEBI.

:slight_smile:

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

Hi Aniketp,
I dont see any significant change in the query performance when we create a DB view.

What he has to look for is to speak with the DBA whether he can finetune the query and if moreover can he make the summary table of the query so that the number of rows fetched accessed can be less.

Even with the Database view, the same number of rows are going to be access everytime.

Omkar Paranjpe :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

I :yesnod: , :yesnod: what you said.
I meant the same. But I forgot to mention that first get the query finetunned and then go for view or derived table, definitely it will help if there is a significance difference exists between webi and SQL Server execution time. :slight_smile:

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)