BusinessObjects Board

Passing users to universes

Hello all
A question. Is it possible to create a filter in a Universe based on the current user logged in. For example, I only want certain users to see certain sets of data, but rather than hard coding the users into a filter, I have a separate table showing users and data they can see, so I wanted to link this back to the user who logs in at the time.
is this possible in standard Business Objects XI

Thanks
Anne

annewilkinson :uk: (BOB member since 2006-06-13)

Hi Annewilkinson,

Yes it is Possible to pass users in Universe and let them see only the data they are supposed to see. I have gone through the same issue. Here is the example of what i did. I have 7 folders and and each folder have 9 reports and these 9 reports are same in all the 7 folders and only diffrence is Folder name it self, which is given in the Query filter they are the department names. So they want to have only one folder with 9 reports and based on the user who logs in they should be able to see only their departments data. It was simple but I hit my head through the wall to get this :hb: , hope this helps somebody.

Solution:

First Create a self join on the User ID.
Then Make sure all the joins are specified between user table and other tables.
Then try using this Syntax " TableName.PersonUserId=@Variable(‘BOUSER’), this syntax should be given in the edit properties of the self join for the user Id (in expression box XIR1).

I hope iam clear, Let me know if anything.

Thanks
Mahesh.

Mahesh80 (BOB member since 2005-12-19)

This should expand on the explanation.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)