BusinessObjects Board

Parameter validation in deski

Is there a way to Validate the parameters entered prior to running the report?

Can we display a message when invalid parameters are entered?

Please help.

socl99 (BOB member since 2008-03-01)

What kind of validation do you mean? One approach is to set all prompts as constrained, meaning they MUST be chose from an LOV. Or do you mean some kind of logical relationship between prompts, input format (like SSN or phone number or date), other?

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

This is to do with a date parameter. I have both start and end dates. If the start date entered is April 1st and the end date is entered incorrectly as March 30th. We need to display a message.

Also, to add to this on the other post about multiple prompts, you have replied that this is not possible. I found a solution for this issue after a lot of reaserch i did last month. It is working great. Please unlock the post so i can update it. Thanks.

socl99 (BOB member since 2008-03-01)

There is no built-in functionality for this kind of validation. Do a search here on BOB for “valid* prompt*” or similar to find previous discussions, including this post.

Hmmm … although I am 100% certain it is NOT possible to leave a prompt blank in full client (Reporter / Desktop Intelligence), I will go ahead and unlock the other post. I am always willing to learn something new!