BusinessObjects Board

Order of Execution of Multiple Queries

After having created a query that was working, needing new data from a different object another query was created to provide an output for the first query common dimensions are linked.

The problem is that the first query is running before the second query.
How can I ensure that does not happen?

dranerb (BOB member since 2006-06-16)

Hi and welcome to B :mrgreen: B,

you have two options:

1. To recreate your report and put the second DP on the first place and the first one on the second place

2. Write a macro that will refresh the 2nd DP as first and then after its completion the 1st DP will run.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

BO reporter will refresh the queries one by one in the order in which they are created in the .rep file.

So Marek’s (option 1) of recreating the report is best to solve these kind of issues. :yesnod:

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

No need to re-create the BusinessObjects document from scratch to get the data providers in the required order, there is a tool available from B :mrgreen: B’s Download section here, that allows you to copy data providers :smiley:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Can you explain what this means? Are the results from the first query somehow filtered by the results of the second query? If the is “filtering” is done at the report level, I don’t see how the order of execution matters. If you are using the “Select query results” feature to pass the results of one data provider to the “In List” of another, BusObj is smart enough to understand that dependency. In your example, BusObj will actually run the second query first.

Take a look at the attached sample (version XIr2 only, sorry). It’s a silly example, but the results of query 2 are passed to query 1. Even from a totally purged starting point, the queries run in the correct “dependent” order.
Order of execution.rep (68.0 KB)

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks for the response.

It seems that everything is working fine now. At the end of the day, BO was closed. The next day the expected order of execution was obtained.

So everything has been running fine these past couple of weeks and I have not seen any anormalies.

dranerb (BOB member since 2006-06-16)