BusinessObjects Board

Oracle 11i issue!!!

Hey guys,

I have a problem. My reports are not returning data, even though the application has data. I’ve checked in SQLPlus, and again this returns no data.

I was then given 2 Oracle KB articles0 - K132 & K133.

One deals with setting the NLS Language to American, when I do this I get 2 out of 5 reports returning data. Is it possible to do this in the universe? I tried creating a parameter called NLS_LANGUAGE and setting it to American, but this didn’t do anything.

The other deals with the ‘Oracle 11i e-Business Suite’ database. This is dependent on a correct Organisation being selected before the queries return any data.

Does anyone have any recollection of these issues, and if so, how did you resolve them?

Cheers,

Stuart

stuartgmilton :uk: (BOB member since 2003-01-30)

Maybe this post may help you…

https://bobj-board.org/t/99622[/quote]

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

That thread is kind of a mess because it mixes two topics. The END_SQL parameter of a universe is useful for adding things to the end of a SQL statement that will identify the user who submitted the SQL, etc. Access it in Designer by selecting File then Parameters…, then click on the Parameter tab, then scroll down to END_SQL. The ConnectInit parameter of the connection probably will let you do what you are asking. Access it in Designer by selecting File then Parameters…, then click on the Edit button of the Definition tab, click Next three times, click on ConnectInit, then type what you want into the box and click Set. Another way of doing the same thing is have a DBA create a user for reporting and a trigger for that user that will run the PL/SQL whenever the user connects.

Regardless, worrying about setting the org is barking up the wrong tree. You should use the base tables underlying the view instead of the view. The view will always have worse performance then using the base tables because it contains lots of joins that you aren’t going to need for your query. If you don’t know enough about Oracle E-Business Suite (aka Oracle Applications aka Oracle Financials) to build a universe from the base tables, then you shouldn’t be building a universe. E-Business Suite is a complex beast and a poorly designed universe will create as many problems as it solves.

Options for E-Business Suite reporting
RDT’s
These are available for free from Business Objects. They are for a version prior to 10.7 and are really, really old. I don’t know if they will even work with version 12. But they can give you an idea of how to build a universe (though I don’t like their design)

Rapid Marts with Data Integrator
This is the solution currently supported by Business Objects. I haven’t looked too much into this. It’s tough to get ETL from Oracle E-Business Suite right and adding new columns (which should happen frequently) requires much more effort. The problem with Rapid Marts is that your implementation of Oracle E-Business Suite is unique and their canned stuff will only get you a certain percentage of the way to a reporting solution. How far it takes it depends on how many descriptive flexfields you have, how many customizations you have, how unusual your business is (the Rapid Marts weren’t designed for a multi-currency government-funded non-profit). The price of getting you that far is that now your development environment is now much more complex. If a user says a report is wrong, now you have to worry about if the universe is wrong, if the ETL mappings are wrong, was their a problem with the data load or is it a timing problem because you are reporting off a snapshot.

Jaros Analytics
They are a company that specializes in ETL for Oracle E-Business Suite. I don’t know how their stuff compares to Rapid Marts, but as they specialize in E-Business Suite they should have better stuff. Their website

Noetix views
Using Noetix views, you can get a reporting solution up pretty quickly. The problems with Noetix views are: (1) their complex views will always have poorer performance than a the equivalent query from a well-designed universe; (2) you are restricted to what they think is worth putting in a view (I think users should be able to report on anything that is in their Oracle EBS instance); and (3) some of the views will have their performace slowly degrade over time (One client hired me to build them a replacement universe for the Noetix universe because the GL views were running too slow with 15 years worth of data). Their website

Custom universe built by someone who specializes in EBS universes
That is what I do and my clients seem very happy with their universe. I don’t know of anyone else who does the same, but I am sure there are others out there. I am working on a canned universe for 12.0.4 E-Business Suite, but it is not very far along.

Hope that helps.

Edit: here is a thread discussing universe options for E-Business Suite.

Dennis W. Disney :us: (BOB member since 2003-09-17)