BusinessObjects Board

Optional Prompts - Require Help

I know this cannot be done directly, but I am hoping for any solution for this issue. I am on XI R2

I have two prompts for a report and the user would like to run the report by entering any one of them. Say, Prompt 1 and Prompt 2. The user may run the report by using Prompt 1 or by Prompt 2.

I was thinking of hardcoing the prompts, something like this:

Prompt 1 is shown to user, in case he doesnt know its value, there would be ‘None’ value in prompt 1, he will select this and then Prompt 2 will appear with values of Prompt 2.

Can this or anything be done? Or I was thinking of concatenating the values and showing one single prompt and then use User Response to separate the results (but I want to avoid this solution as of now).

Please help :frowning:

Smith85 (BOB member since 2009-12-10)

There is no direct way, however, you can do some workaround. Refer this link (Designer FAQ): FAQ: Designer

Your logic will be something link this:

Select <>

Where

(or class\object) = @Prompt 1('Enter or ', ‘Type’, ‘LOV’, ‘MULTI’, ‘FREE’) or ( = @Prompt 1)
And
(or class\object) = @Prompt 2('Enter or ', ‘Type’, ‘LOV’, ‘MULTI’, ‘FREE’) or ( = @Prompt 2)

The ‘AND’ operator will ensure that both the conditions are checked. So, there can be two cases:

Case 1: When user enters value for Prompt 1, and enters for Prompt 2, the logic will turn to:

(or class\object) = AND ( =
)

Case 2: When user enters value for Prompt 2, and enters for Prompt 1, the logic will turn to:

( = ) AND (or class\object) =

If user chooses for both the Prompts, the complete record set will be returned. In this case, the prompt condition will simply fail and you will have the following logic:

( = ) AND ( = ), can be ‘*’, ‘N’ or ‘Y’ etc.

Hope this helps !!

Rajat Sapru :us: (BOB member since 2008-08-28)