BusinessObjects Board

Optional prompt in XIR2

Hi,

How to use optional prompt in BOXI R2. I know there is no optional prompt in this version. But i have one requirement where user will enter the Date as a prompt some time there will be no dates in that case is there any tricky way to act as optional prompt like passing some dummy values etc.

please help.

Thanks
Geetha

geethanjali (BOB member since 2010-06-07)

Hi,

Check out response from Michael Welter in this post
FAQ: Designer and also response from Cinday Clayton to add “All” in the List of Values.

M H Mohammed :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-16)

Hi,

Thanks for the Reply.

I am aware of Adding All in the List of values.

but my prompt is to enter the Date values from and to.ther will be 2 prompts which user will enter the Start Date and End Date. if they don’t need the Date , what they will enter in the Both the prompts…

Thanks
Geetha

Hi,

Do you have 2 prompts on Date, for Start Date and End Date?

Or just one prompt with Start and End Date created using a Between & And function?
as
Date Between @Prompt(‘Enter Start Date:’,) And @Prompt(‘Enter End Date:’,)?

I am using the syntax as

( to_date(to_char(QUALITYREVIEW_DIM.QUDATEASSIGNED,‘mm/dd/yyyy’),‘mm/dd/yyyy’) BETWEEN
to_date(@Prompt(‘Enter Start Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’ ,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:2),‘mm/dd/yyyy’) AND
to_date(@Prompt(‘Enter End Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:3),‘mm/dd/yyyy’) )

So i need to make this as optional for the user, if the user need date they will enter the Dates or they can enter any olternative that will not take as considiration.

Thanks
Geetha

I tried by applying this condion

( to_date(to_char(QUALITYREVIEW_DIM.QUDATEASSIGNED,‘mm/dd/yyyy’),‘mm/dd/yyyy’) BETWEEN
to_date(@Prompt(‘Enter Start Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’ ,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:2),‘mm/dd/yyyy’) or ‘ALL’ IN @Prompt(‘Enter Start Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:2)
AND
to_date(@Prompt(‘Enter End Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:3),‘mm/dd/yyyy’) or ‘ALL’ IN @Prompt(‘Enter End Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:3) )

but it throws me the error

" Database error: ORA-00905: missing keyword
. Contact your Business Objects administrator or database supplier for more information. (Error: WIS 10901)"

Thanks
Geetha

Hi,

Please Try to put a space in " ALL", so that it will show on the top in the List of Values and change it accordingly in the @Prompt()

And also, in the prompt, where ever you have " ALL" with “IN” in the condition, use MULTI in the @Prompt.

Try that and see what happens.

Still it trows me the same error.

I think i am not using any list of values, the user is enter the Date in the mm/dd/yyyy format . may be that cause the isue.

Thanks
Geetha

Hi,

I’ll implement it using Island Resort Marketing by making the dates to current and will let you know.

Thank you so much for the Time and Effort. Please let me know.

Thanks
Geetha

Hi Geetha,

You can use the below code for the requirement.

to_date(to_char(QUALITYREVIEW_DIM.QUDATEASSIGNED,‘mm/dd/yyyy’),‘mm/dd/yyyy’)
BETWEEN
to_date(case when @Variable(‘Enter Start Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’)=’ ’ then ‘01/01/2011’ else @Prompt(‘Enter Start Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’ ,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:1) end ,‘mm/dd/yyyy’) AND
to_date(case when @Variable(‘Enter End Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’)=’ ’ then to_char(sysdate,‘mm/dd/yyyy’) else @Prompt(‘Enter End Date(mm/dd/yyyy):’,‘A’,MONO,FREE,user:2) end ,‘mm/dd/yyyy’)

Note : User has to enter one space. If the user is enter space then we are taking the values from 01/01/2011 (Insted of this value we can place any value) to sysdate . If the user enter any date range value then the above logic will extract the data between user entered date range only.

I guess it will work…

Regards,
Venkat

Subbu557 (BOB member since 2008-03-09)

Hi venkat,Mohammed Hussain

Thanks A lot, this is working.

I made a change to use ‘’ instead of space, so the use can enter '’ if they don’t want to any specifi date range.

Thank you Venkat and Mohammed Hussain for the Time and Effort.

Thanks a lot.
Geetha