BusinessObjects Board

Optional prompt display BOXI R3

Hi All,
I have a issue on optional Prompt in BOXIR3_WEBI display.
we have three prompts user will Select any one. We are using optional prompt "New"featureintroduced in BOXIR3-WEBI, User wants the Prompt to be diplayed on the report Example:
Prompt A(label) : user response(Value)

I used below formulae to get user response value which is fine.

UserResponse([Data provider] ; "Enter value for A :") +"  "+UserResponse([Data provider] ; "Enter value for B:")+"  "+UserResponse([Data Provider] ; "Enter value for C:")

To get the label of the corresponding prompt I am using if thenelse and else if , but its picking any two values ignoring the secons elseif.
below is the formulae i have used.

=If([Parameter Value]=[Object A];"A:";If([Parameter Value]=[Object b];"B:"; "C"))

Result what i get if the user selects B is label C.

Can anyone helpme with this formulae.
Thanks
SWV

SWV (BOB member since 2007-11-16)

Hi All,
Any information, thoughts,advices on the is formulae?
Thanks

How do you handle the prompts not anwered by the user? The answer may be found in your response to this question

Marc Doucet :canada: (BOB member since 2007-07-11)

Hi Mac ,
Optional Prompt is the New Feature added in “BOXIR3-WEBI”. User doesnt have to enter all the prompts . Thats what the functonality(Optional) in the New feature says about.
Thanks

Unfortunately I can’t test BOXIR3-WEBI…

I would look to find a way to know if the user did answer a prompt or not

Is there new functions available or new parameters to the UserReponse function ?

Good luck

Marc Doucet :canada: (BOB member since 2007-07-11)

Hi,

Something is strange with your post.
If you are using BusinessObjects XI 3.0 and Web Intelligence which means in this version Web Intelligence Rich Client, the syntax for the If Then Else… has changed.
Now you can use the keywords If, Then, Elseif as you used to do it under Desktop Intelligence.

Try to write your formula as if you were on Desktop Intelligence and tell me if it is working.

I hope it will help you

Best Regards,
Cédric Paumard

DeskI & WebI Developer
BI Toolkit - Offices in UK and Holland
http://www.bitoolkit.com

[bitk]Cedric (BOB member since 2008-03-10)

How to use optional prompt??? Can anybody help me???

BO_User2000 (BOB member since 2008-11-18)

Just create couple of prompts and select the optional prompts option from the properties.
You will then know how it works

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

like I posted a similar query…I have a requirement where i need to open the same document with a prompt i.e. a single doc serves as a parent and child report. In the report i have two blocks. First block is having one prompt that the user need to provide for the first time. After seeing the value in the first block user will click on any of the value in the first block and that will navigate to the second block. i.e. their is a prompt in the second block as well. So my requirement is when I’ll refresh the report it should prompt me only for the first block not for the second block. I don’t want the user to see at all that there is another prompt for second block. So do you think that the optional prompt is the solution for it???

BO_User2000 (BOB member since 2008-11-18)

I think what you are looking for can’t be done. All the prompts will be shown to the user when he/she runs the document. The advantage of Optional prompts is, even if the user sees all the prompts, he/she can leave the optional prompt alone unanswered.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

How can we do this in Deski,As we don’t hav webi licence and optional prompt is my requirement.

Thanks in advance

Keerth007 :uk: (BOB member since 2009-03-21)

Though Desk-I doesn’t support this explicitly, you can always include ‘ALL’ in the LOVs and select it as an alternative. For more details, check this topic.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

BusinessObjects® XI:
The Complete Reference:- page 242

Pseudo Optional Prompts
If you do not want the prompt to be mandatory to limit the number of rows, try the
following technique, originally suggested by Walter Muellner of Mercury Business
Solutions in Austria. The Where clause uses an OR statement to allow users to either answer
ALL or choose individual values from the list:

‘ALL’ IN @Prompt(‘Enter City or ALL’,‘A’, ‘Customer\City’,multi,)
OR
City.city IN @Prompt(‘Enter City or ALL’,‘A’, ‘Customer\City’,multi,)

This is a very creative approach to balancing user friendliness with prompting. When
users enter ALL, the first part of the condition SQL gets used (‘ALL’ IN ‘ALL’). Because
the condition statement uses an OR clause, the second condition is not evaluated. Conversely,
if users enter city names (or anything other than ALL), then the first part of the SQL is not
true and so it does not get used, while the second condition does. Of course, if ALL is a
possible data value in the City column, this poses a problem. The alternative is to use a
symbol such as * or %—however, the risk is that users mix up true uses of these symbols (wildcards in certain databases). Finally, in order for this to work, the prompt in both
condition statements must be exactly the same or users will be prompted twice

Keerth007 :uk: (BOB member since 2009-03-21)